The Damien

DISASTER!!! Or maybe not

Ok every thing was going great and I got a tone of work done and I was doing my electronics cavity when

all of the suden BANG, RIP, TEAR, Chunks every where CATASTROPHIC TEAR OUT I mean bad it tore right thru th top and cracked along most of the cavity so Im siting there stuned when I start thinking that this may not be so bad I could do a deadly tribal design in a chunk of flame Maple and Glue it over the damaged area

if I bevel the edge of the added pice I think it will have A cool effect and it should look slick, so I cleand up the damage and I'll start the wook on the cover tomoro

PICS!! these still make me A bit sick B)

The damage is hard to see in my pics but its bad!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/dea.../New-22wood.jpg

This is after I cleand out the damage and started thinking about fixing it, You can see a design Im playing with

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/dea.../New-23wood.jpg

Now pics of the funest part sofar, useing the Spoke Shave fo the Belly Curve

New-10wood.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/dea...uitar/New-5.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/dea.../New-13wood.jpg

Whoa....settle down, big fella. I didn't get your PM until a minute ago.

If you just put the url up, the forum software will automatically turn it into a link for folks to click on.

Do that will all the pics, then after you PREVIEW your post, go back and use the IMG tag for the pic you want to show up in the thread.

If it continues to jack up like this, check your computer settings. You might need a cache or cookie clear, or something to that effect.

Let me know if you still have problems.

And let us all know when that bad boy (literally) is completed!

haha I was not pissed Keven I was just leting every one know why there was A useless post there :D

Thanks for the Help I'll do that and if it acts up again I'll emails ya this time :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Im thinking that Glueing A maple cover over the hole is only going to cause me more troble than I have time for So Im going to do A metal one Thick enough to bevel a bit

What are your thoughts on it Metal or wood?

WOOD.jpg

My rough idea

Just like this metal plate holding the Pots and such

http://www.bobdaisley.com/guitars/'62%...Jazz%20bass.jpg

Mine will be much more evil Claw looking and thicker metal so that it can be beveld

how do you do your beveling? It's so consistent, it amazes me. Great job with the back contour as well, very slick look. What kind of spokeshave do you use?

I use A chamfer bit and A router, but I would like to start geting in to more hand tools

Matt man every time I see one of your guitars it's better than the last one. Which is really saying something. B)

I -love- the way the belly carve looks. It kinda scoops around the body, very cool. It's also great that you figured out a great way out of that rouer mishap. Everyone screws up sometime. But it takes real talent to get out of it and make it look like it never happend. :D

:D:D

Matt man every time I see one of your guitars it's better than the last one. Which is really saying something.

I -love- the way the belly carve looks. It kinda scoops around the body, very cool. It's also great that you figured out a great way out of that rouer mishap. Everyone screws up sometime. But it takes real talent to get out of it and make it look like it never happend.

Thanks man! and ya Im kinda liking this new cover Idea it should look really good and its not going to cover up a ton of the Flamed maple!! its also a very simple design but it still has its Evil side JUST like the guitar :D

And with the belly carve im really happy with it, I loved useing the hand tool for that! It was great I had way more control over what was happening and I could feel the wood I was removeing, it was really alot of fun.

And with the belly carve im really happy with it, I loved useing the hand tool for that! It was great I had way more control over what was happening and I could feel the wood I was removeing, it was really alot of fun.

Ya, routers are great for making real even profiles, which is a nice effect. But being able to vary the amount of bevel, or other edge profile really opens up a lot of potential, design-wise. I especially like the way you blended the two techniques. You got a very nice transition from the routered bevel to the organic curve in the belly contour. :D

GUITARFIXED.jpg

Ok just to give you a better Idea of what Im doing to fix the Tear out! the cover will be 3/16" thick and have A Beveld edge

Cover.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/dea...itar/Cover2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/dea...itar/Cover3.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/dea...itar/Cover1.jpg

Yes once again crap for pics :D

Ok I had some extra time at the shop so I thought I would mess around and make the cover out of some left over flamed maple, and I have to say that I think that it could look really slick, as you can see I just dyed it and its still wet once its dry its ready for some clear, but I wanted to show it of first B)

• 2 months later...

:D!!ITS DEAD!! :D Ok I was back in saskatoon visting my family and picking up the rest of my stuff this Body was in with every thing NOW this is where it all goes bad I got back in to town late and I left most of my stuff in the garage and we had a HUGE storm and the humity went WAY WAY WAY up and I never thought to check up on it anyway the next moring I went to bring my stuff in when I found that the body had warped really really bad so im now thinking that I may have lost this one to stupidity and weather B)

Ship the remains here, W.O.D.'s gotta eat y'know.

I think its time for another Fire :D

Yeah, I have to say Matt, design-wise you're just about at pro level now. (I didn't notice this thread until tonight).

I mean, I can almost see myself playing this one ---and that's saying a lot, seeing as how I'm the opposite of a metal head.

I really like the way you turned the routing disaster into a plus --that shows just how much of an artist you're becoming.

And even though I like the plate you came up with (a lot), I can't help thinking how cool it'd look of you'd just let it continue up along that lower bout -- -I'm thinking kind of like a pickguard, but not too wide (not so it'd touch the pickups), so it'd become like an extra bevel level for the body.

Anyway, the design is great, you definitely have to start again --make sure you keep the control plate idea!

I'm with Mickguard on this one. I don't do pointy guitars. I run away from them. I'm just not man enough.

But I love your designs, they keep getting better and better, and this look classy, yet still threatening. Actually looks much more appealing than many of the metalhead guitars I've seen in my local shop.

The control plate looks much cool. Keep that for something.

Anyway, the design is great, you definitely have to start again --make sure you keep the control plate idea!

I second that! I really like the design (although I'm not typically a fan of pointy guitars) and you showed true creativity with your control plate solution. The belly contour and the way you integrated it into the bevel was also impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing you pull this one off. Best of luck!