One Week Cigar Box Guitar Contest

You have one week starting now to make a cigar box guitar. Entrys end on the 19th at 12:00 PM central time

the rules

It has to produce an acoustic sound. (It can have an electric pickup also)

It must be playable

It must be a stringed instrement (It can have any number of strings made out of material (you can make it a uke or mandolin or whatever)

It must have frets (they don't have to be made out of metal)

It doesn't have to be made out of a cigar box, or even shaped like a cigar box. It can be any shape or size you like, and made out of any material you wan't.

Thats about it. The rest is up to you.

Let the building commence!

Edited by Godin SD
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any shape or size? I saved the shell halves of a coconut I had for the perpose of one day making a funny little stringed instrument out of them. Is that okay?

I can't participate unfortunately as I'm not able to do any building or tinkering at the moment...

But here's one for inspirtation...

lowtechguitar2.jpg

Built from surplus 3mm MDF the Jarrah (floor board scraps) neck bolts to the top. It's tuned from the rear with six machine bolts, a hole drilled through and screwed into some internal hardwood. The frets are coathanger wire and it's scaled to play in A. The strain is taken by an internal block below the top but not attached, hence the offset sound hole which also maximizing the vibrating area of the soundboard.

The dampened MDF virtually curved itself around a rough chipboard shape. It has a black stain to show off, on close inspection, the coverted burl grain of the MDF! The design is such that the back curve sits on the right thigh and is small enough to plink away at the traffic lights...

Total cost...6 screws and an afternoon to complete!!! Even the strings were free...the idea is that it recycles my acoustics strings...reversed and cut short all the fret wear is removed from the fretting area...

Have fun...think laterally...

Just one more question Godin.

When we are done, where should we post the pictures of the finished CBG? Here? Or, should we make a mock GOTM thread with just CBGs?

I'm actually tempted for you to start a mock GOTM thread, not knocking the real thing, I just have that kind of sense of humour. Complete with preamble, four picture limit and such. :D