One Week Cigar Box Guitar Contest

Thanks Godin. I'm almost done too. Just a little sanding, the fret job, and the set neck. With any luck, I'll have mine done Monday night. I think I might have 10 bucks in parts in it. Every guitar I make gets cheaper and cheaper. :D

This is going to be fun to see what everyone has scrounged together!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if we lifted the "fretted" rule, that'd take out the hardest part for me

That's why I won't be participating. I don't have the materials/tools.

i think the fretless rule should be lifted... i mean, GOTM doesnt have a fretless rule... the people who vote on the finished product will decide whether the workmanship involved outweighs the fact that its fretless. I plan on making mine with frets, but i think lifting the fretless rule will get even more creative designs into the little shin dig.

- Louis

i think the fretless rule should be lifted... i mean, GOTM doesnt have a fretless rule...

Last time I checked this isin't GOTM :D

I guess I was worried about the people that would just get a 2x4 and stick some strings on it :D

Just kinda wanted to weed those people out.

For super easy frets you can just glue on some tooth picks...

i think the fretless rule should be lifted... i mean, GOTM doesnt have a fretless rule...

Last time I checked this isin't GOTM :D

I guess I was worried about the people that would just get a 2x4 and stick some strings on it :D

For super easy frets you can just glue on some tooth picks...

Your kinda missing the point of a cigar box guitar then... i mean... thats exactly what its supposed to be, a stick with strings on it. I mean seriously... its not that big of a deal, people will vote for the best one, its not like if someone enters a 2x4 with strings on it theyre going to win you know?

That's what the voting's supposed to do.

I mean, what if they took a 2x4, carved the crap out of it into some extraordinarily intricate design, and then stick some strings on it? :D

I'm with the garenhanman on this one...

If the contest happens again, I might dive in...I've got a pretty cool whiskey bottle box here...

I agree that if this becomes a regular event that frets are not a requirement. I also see no problem with a 2x4 with bailing wire for strings if it can be played.

Cigar Box Guitars, Diddly Bows, Cigar Box Violins have no rules. Kids and adults alike build them out of whatever they can find.

So, for now, Godin set the rules. This contest week is his show and he says what goes.

If you want a "frets optional" competition, start one. If you want a "build a guitar from a 2x4" contest, start one. Just don't start them all at the same time. I want to participate in everything I can. If 14 of these things are going at once I'd implode from the stress. :D

Hmmm... 2x4 you say...

<edit>

BTW, I finished up my CBG last night. The weather outside is sucky so I'm just waiting on a little sunlight to take the pictures. It plays better than the other ones I've made, has an experimental headstock and a few other interesting quirks.

I'll be recording a quick tune on it tonight to post with the pictures.

<edit>

If the contest happens again, I might dive in...I've got a pretty cool whiskey bottle box here...

I have a wine crate for about 6 bottles that I'm looking at making something out of that. Either a wine box bass, or a Bo Diddly Telecaster.

or a Bo Diddly Telecaster.

Hasn't that, uh, been done already? :D

You'd figure with all the wine that gets drunk around here, I should be able to come up with something...one of those standup bass thingamajigs for example....

A telecaster from a wine crate? Really?

In either case, I thought it would be cool to build and then display at the wine store in town. There's a lot of artsy-fartsy people that shop there and they would probably want one made like it with their favorite brand of wine. It's creative advertising and a complete exploitation of the people that have money to spend on wine and art. :D