Tuners

Grover minis on a PRS? :D Why not the full-size?

Are the posts so short that the string hole doesn't clear the nut/washer? If so, you've got the wrong set of tuners.

You should use the washers, otherwise you're going to tear up the headstock finish when you tighten the nut, and they'll probably come loose easier.

Possum...isn't this like the FOURTH thread you've started for the same issue? You do know that you can always continue a previous thread, right?

I'm not trying to be insulting here, but I'm starting to believe you're in over your head on this guitar project thing. How about just taking your guitars into a tech and tell him what you want and let him take care of it for you?

I've put Grovers on SIX different guitars now --every single one from a different manufacturer-- and have never experienced an issue with them being too short. The PRS might be different, but you could have measured that before buying yet another set of tuners.

Mikhail--the "mini" part just refers to the button...the footprint (screw hole) is slightly different though, but they do indeed look like they'll retrofit the PRS tuners. I always buy the minis because I like the way they look.

The footprint on the Grover mini is different (a little smaller) than the full size, but the main thing is the post is .20" shorter. Could be why you're having problems.

It's always a good idea to measure first and do your homework. :D The dimensions are posted @ StewMac.

Edited by mikhailgtrski

Call me Naive, bur I imagine a call to PRS customer support would get you a definitive answer regarding what tuners would fit.

Measuring the existing tuners might help too...Stew Mac's site is pretty thorough...I never realized the minis were shorter--another reason to like them, I'd say. And like I said, I've had no issues with them being too short. Are PRS headstocks extraordinarily thick? Methinks Possum's just doing something wrong....

Methinks Possum's just doing something wrong....

Well, how thick is the headstock on a PRS? The tuner base to string hole dimension is .785". Anything close to 5/8" might run into clearance issues.

Now I'm curious - the string holes on my full-size grovers seem much higher than this. I'll have to break out the ruler. :D

Now I'm curious - the string holes on my full-size grovers seem much higher than this. I'll have to break out the ruler. :D

Well I spent some time comparing the tuner specs on StewMac....ALL of Grover's tuners are different...kind of weird, you'd think it'd be cheaper to have a standard base for them.

Anyway, the non-locking tuners have the hole very close to the top of the post. The locking tuners have the hole set much lower.

Even still, like I said, I've mounted a bunch of mini-locking rotomatics and I even have a set of full-size locking rotomatics AND a set of regular rotomatics...and I never even thought twice about this issue, not a single set has given me any clearance issues. Even if the mini-locking sets are indeed lower, there's still plenty of clearance there. I'm talking a good half an inch. There's no way the PRS headstock can be THAT much thicker. (I couldn't find a side view photo of their headstock--where's marksound when you need him? :D )

Alrighty then...

My headstock is 7/16" thick. The string holes are about 3/8" above the headstock, and the washer + bushing is about 1/8" thick. So if I was using the minis which are .20" or 3/16" shorter, that would leave about 1/16" or so of clearance above the bushing. Not a lot, but enough.

If the PRS headstock is more than 7/16" thick, then I could see how he'd have a clearance issue.

Mike

Man, now you got me running around the house with a ruler...

All of my headstocks (MIM Tele, MIJ Strat, Gibson Melody Maker, Samick Royale, plus a couple of necks on my parts shelf, including a Danelectro reissue neck), with the exception of the Dano, measure at 9/16" --and I have no problems using the minis.

The Dano is the thickest of the bunch, at 10/16" -- I mounted a Grover mini on it, and the hole still clears. But that's about the limit, any thicker and it'd be really difficult to pass the low E through.

Good thing to know for the future...

I suppose it's possible that PRS are making really thick headstocks?

I used Grover minis (non-locking) on my mahogany custom. The headstock is 5/8" thick and the string holes are a full 1/4" above the surface of the headstock. Plenty of room! I guess a possible alternative, that is, if you are dead set on using these tuners, would be to countersink your washers about 1/16" to get the clearance you need. But otherwise, set them aside for another guitar and get ones that fit.