A Self Designed Wiring Diagram

patman

here is a link to a wiring diagram that i designed myself

wiring diagram

I am very much a newbie when it comes to electronics. I pieced this together from several diagrams I found online. I am not sure whether this will work or not. does someone know if this will work?

I wanted to create the most versitile setup I could. I counted 17 pickup combinations (there could be more) if this works.

I plan to use seymour duncan seth lover pickups. Without any of the push-pull pots pulled out, it should have switching just like a les paul or sg (the middle pickup shouldn't be activated). The volume pots should split the neck and bridge pickups (neck pot splits neck, bridge pot splits bridge). The middle pickup should be activated by pulling out the neck tone pot. It can then be split by the bridge tone pot.

I am sorry I forgot to label the bottom two pots. they are the bridge volume and tone, respectively. Also, as it says in the diagram, the pickups and the pots are supposed to be the same size, but I can't draw that well on the computer.

That looks like it will work perfectly.

Instead of coil taps, have you thought about series/parallel wiring of the humbuckers?

IMO, it is a much better mod, and the sound is much preferable.

Also, you can place a capacitor (of the same value you are using on your tone pot) between the switch out and ground on your coil taps, which makes the single coil alot brighter and more single coil like.

There is a mad wiring diagram I could direct you towards that gives 96 different pickup combos for a three humbucker equiped guitar if you'd like?

Btw, I just wired up a project guitar to have 22 different combo's, it's great fun to have so many different sounds available, good on you.

Edited by AG...

I hate to break it to you, bud, but the Seth Lover model doesn't come with 4-conductor wiring. It uses vintage push-back cloth wire. Unless you take the pickup apart, or custom order it from Duncan with 4-conductor at a higher cost, you won't be splitting anything.

Also, there are very good schematics on the Duncan website that address series/parallel wiring. It's a great way to get a single-coil sound whilst keeping the noise-suppression of the other coil in the loop.

I hate to break it to you, bud, but the Seth Lover model doesn't come with 4-conductor wiring. It uses vintage push-back cloth wire. Unless you take the pickup apart, or custom order it from Duncan with 4-conductor at a higher cost, you won't be splitting anything.

You can get the Seth Lovers with four conductors from www.guitarelectronics.com (they do charge $14.00 extra)

here is the link

Seth lover w/ four conductors

A .47 is quite a large value to use for your tone controls. Did you perhaps mean a .047?

I did mean a .047. Thanks for pointing that out!

You mentioned having the most versatile setup--what kind of guitar is this setup going into?

I am planning to make a Firebird using parts from Warmoth. I would have used mini humbuckers since the real thing does, but I just love the sound of the Seth Lovers. As AG... mentioned, this isnt THE most versatile setup, but I just wanted one that could go from a three humbucker sound to a two, three, or even one single coil sound.

Edited by patman

That sounds good. The SL's are nice pups and I think they'll sound great with four-conductor. One thing you might think about is using a five or six-way rotary switch instead of the push-pull pots. Might keep things a little cleaner.

Cleaner, maybe, but less easy to see at a glance what you've got selected, which is why I'm not wild about 'em.

I also have a slight preference for push-push over push-pull pots, tapping them on and off goes faster, and you're unlikely to lose a control knob if you get a touch overexcited on stage.

That sounds good. The SL's are nice pups and I think they'll sound great with four-conductor. One thing you might think about is using a five or six-way rotary switch instead of the push-pull pots. Might keep things a little cleaner.

Cleaner, maybe, but less easy to see at a glance what you've got selected, which is why I'm not wild about 'em.

I also have a slight preference for push-push over push-pull pots, tapping them on and off goes faster, and you're unlikely to lose a control knob if you get a touch overexcited on stage.

Yeah, but I tend to prefer simplicity in control. A single six-position rotary with either a chicken head or a notched-indicator knob is better than four switching pots, less likely to introduce noise into the system, and a lot easier to make changes than pushing or pulling out knobs plus switching another three-way switch. YMMV, but I've found that keeping the layout simple is a must for serious gigging.