Spalt Maple Characteristics

In a little dispute with someone.

Is spalt maple used in thick tops?

Does it have the tonal characteristics of Redwood?

Would a veneer of spalt maple be "uniformly seen as a cheap option to a real top"?

thanks

i know i could have used search, and i did, but i think a direct answer from you guys would help a little more

In a little dispute with someone.

Is spalt maple used in thick tops?

Does it have the tonal characteristics of Redwood?

Would a veneer of spalt maple be "uniformly seen as a cheap option to a real top"?

thanks

i know i could have used search, and i did, but i think a direct answer from you guys would help a little more

1) Yes, I've seen it used in thicker/carved tops

2) No. A lot of it has the tonal characteristics of wet cardboard. Spalt maple is incredibly variable since, well, it's maple that's been attacked by fungus, meaning some parts may be very heavily damaged. How much damage was done, how strong the wood is, all that determine how different from unspalted maple it will sound in the end.

3) Pure bull; I've seen veneers of spalt maple used on quite a number of high-dollar guitars and basses. A nice piece also doesn't necessarily come cheap! Some people don't like it, but that's their perogative. I have no compunctions about using the right piece for a guitar.