Setting Up Workshop...

fronkpies

If you use cheaper tools you got cheaper works.

The bandasw its very important because of the different woods, maybe this bandsaw its for minor pieces of wood not enough for a guitar.

And the router i made an extensive research and my conclusion was if the router its expensive and good brand its a warranty but if its cheaper and plastic parts its a risk.

:D

the router looks fine..i actually have several ranging from a 3hp makita to a $40 black and decker and each has it's uses.

i would definitely recommend against getting a bench top band saw for guitar building unless that's absolutely all you can afford. they don't have the blade guiding properties of bigger, more expensive saws and they definitely don't have the power that you need for larger projects. i have two in my storeroom that i've retired for just those reasons. i don't know what the used tool market is where you live but look around a little and you may find a descent saw used for the same price.

good luck!

the router looks fine..i actually have several ranging from a 3hp makita to a $40 black and decker and each has it's uses.

i would definitely recommend against getting a bench top band saw for guitar building unless that's absolutely all you can afford. they don't have the blade guiding properties of bigger, more expensive saws and they definitely don't have the power that you need for larger projects. i have two in my storeroom that i've retired for just those reasons. i don't know what the used tool market is where you live but look around a little and you may find a descent saw used for the same price.

good luck!

what kind of saw would you reccomend??

good luck!

what kind of saw would you reccomend??

Ity all depends on how much you can afford and what do you plan to do with the saw. For instance, at the end of this month I am moving my shop out of my gargage and into a 1000 square foot wharehouse, at the same time I am upgrading my tools and the saw is the first one. I settled on the 17" 2 HP Extreme Series Bandsaw http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513X . Again it all depends on what you really plan to do with your tools. Main thing is you NEVER want to waste your money and buy less than what you need. For instance, I would not recomend purchasing anything smaller than a 14" band saw even for the week end enthuist guitar builder. Look around and check out all your options, try and talk to luthiers in your country to try and get an idea of what decent saws are available to you. Save your money and get something that will actually help you out and not hold you back (you dont really want to fight with a small tabel top bandsaw, they usually win!), in the end it will be well worth it!

I envy those in the Frisco area as far as craigslist goes. It's insane how much stuff they have, compared to the craigslist for my local area. However, my neighbors put two wine racks out for the trash and I sold them for $40.00 on craigslist. LOL !

#1 rule with setting up a work-shop is to make a cabinet to keep the fronk pies in, because they explode if sawdust gets on them.

My advice is to buy good quality tools. If you can't quite afford them now, save your cash till you can.

Going half way now will cost you in the long run. You'll find yourself struggling through simple tasks, making mistakes and wishing you had waited only to purchase upgrade machinery later on. The router would likely be ok as long as it takes 1/2" bits which it says it does, but go for at least a 14" bandsaw. You can pick them up relatively reasonably as compared to the cheaper 9" - 12" models out there and you can do so much more with them.

It's been mentioned before, if you can only afford cheap tools, at least buy high quality cutters. Cheap tools & cheap cutters are a bad combo.

everyone is giving you good advice and i wish i could recommend something specific but i'm guessing that you're not in the states and i don't know what's available where you are. i have a jet 14" bandsaw with the cabinet base and have been extremely pleased with it.

john says he has that saw and likes it so if that's what you can afford go for it. i guess that was my big problem with the two smaller ones that i had..a delta bench top and a craftsman benchtop..they just didn't have the strength to go as fast as i wanted them to.

The router's specs look OK, but go fondle it hands-on, see how tight the adjustment is, how well constructed it feels, general solidity. You do, to a point, get what you pay for; blue pro line Bosch tools and DeWalts are both good options in the UK, or Festool if you have too much cash.

Axminster.co.uk is a good place to look for all manner of tools, including Jet stuff.

Look around for Elektra-Beckum and Scheppach bandsaws; quality German manufacture, come in normal-ish sizes (some of the best stuff comes from Italy, like Meber and Agazzani, but we're really talking industrial sized saws at this point 18"+++, with price tags to match, although 1000 quid will get you a lot of second-hand bandsaw). Issue with big heavy machinery like this is that it's usually worth finding somewhere local-ish to buy it, since shipping 100+ kilos of bandsaw will be very, very expensive.

I have to agree about not getting a benchtop bandsaw. I bought a 9" Delta bandsaw and it just died on me.

Was cutting some mahogany and the motor started slowing down, then I heard a pop and smoke came out of the motor. I quickly unplugged it and just sat there staring at it hehe.

Definitely not enough power for guitar building and the guides on them are junk. I plan on getting a 14" fullsize bandsaw with my tax return this year as a replacement.

I used to have an 8" bench-top bandsaw. It actually worked quite well with GOOD blades. I was able to resaw 4" thick Ebony.....

I used to have an 8" bench-top bandsaw. It actually worked quite well with GOOD blades. I was able to resaw 4" thick Ebony.....

I wouldn't even try to do that with my saw, it would just stop

What the hell blade where you using?some sort of diamond coated mentalist blade? :D