How Do I Determine The Holes For My Bridge And Pick Ups For A P-bass?

Hello everyone,

I'm new on here. Nice to meet you all. I'm going to build my first Bass. I'm not the diehard wood worker, or very good at it to begin with. Anyway, I'm starting out with a Mighty Might P-bass Body and neck. I'd like to know if the pre-manufactured stuff is basically set-up to be bolted together? The Body I was looking at has no holes for the Bridge or pick-ups. I would like to know waht you all do to determine the proper location for these holes?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Well, the best way to start building is to read...this forum. the Melvyn Hickok book is excellent too. You might decide to go ahead and try building your own body, at least, from scratch. Especially if you have to route the pickups anyway, it's not that much more difficult to prepare the entire body...it's basically all the same skill set.

Anyway, search the forum for scale length, you'll find the info you need. But since I'm not working today I'll do some of the work for you. Follow this link to: the Stewmac Fret Scale Calculator.

An easy way to find the pickup placement is to buy a P-bass pickguard, since it's cut for the pickups. But you're going to want to make sure all the pieces go together. And you should verify that the pickups are indeed properly placed.

Yep, you guessed it. There are no real shortcuts. :D

Well, the best way to start building is to read...this forum. the Melvyn Hickok book is excellent too. You might decide to go ahead and try building your own body, at least, from scratch. Especially if you have to route the pickups anyway, it's not that much more difficult to prepare the entire body...it's basically all the same skill set.

Anyway, search the forum for scale length, you'll find the info you need. But since I'm not working today I'll do some of the work for you. Follow this link to: the Stewmac Fret Scale Calculator.

An easy way to find the pickup placement is to buy a P-bass pickguard, since it's cut for the pickups. But you're going to want to make sure all the pieces go together. And you should verify that the pickups are indeed properly placed.

Yep, you guessed it. There are no real shortcuts. :D

Thanks alot for your help