Cheapest Quilted Maple

Hey all.. I am building my beauty soon and I want that Quilted Maple finish.. but without the $700 price or whatever haha.. I am planning on using a Neckthru neck with 2 alder board sides, so I assume I need a quilted maple laminate board.. rather than a 1/2 inch board.. 1/8th quilted maple should work right? That way the stain should still show, just the sound is still a solid body 3piece..

This stuff is friggin expensive.. I only found one piece of 1/8th quilted maple on StewMac and it wasnt even the right size for my guitar, for like $90 US! Is it all that expensive? Damn hah..

Im building basically a Death Kelly so I need something within that shape, and hoping to not pay too much for the quilted maple laminate, since its just a laminate, it shouldnt be $100 lol..

Also, how would I go about staining this? or attaching it to the actual guitar rather? Would I attach it then route pickups/etc or ?

I added a quilted maple veneer to a maple/mahogany body. It cost me only AU$40.00 for the timber and it looks awesome.

One thing to be aware of when using a veneer is that if the body has curves, you cannot bend the veneer over the curves unless you have a vacuum seal set up, and even then it can be fairly dodgy.

So take that into consideration.

This place sells acoustic guitar backs by themselves as low as 58 bucks. They will be thin like you want:

http://www.alliedlutherie.com/maples.htm