Acoustic Archtop Guitars

elynnia

Hallo,

I'm a not-so-longtime archtop fan in Sydney Australia, currently looking for an inexpensive (under $400 AUD) acoustic-only fullbody (preferably 60's or earlier vintage) archtop guitar to play. I know that in the States, they turn up everywhere from local dealers to ebay and go for very reasonable prices, but so far I have not been able to locate one in Sydney, Australia. Any info on obtaining one, as well as what to look out for, would be great.

Thanks!

elynnia :D

yeah, should be easy to find a 45+ year old archtop guitar for under $400.

That's what I thought first, when I looked around the internet (which is mostly American-oriented)...but I can't seem to track down any in Sydney - I guess the local preferences just weren't for them...so if anyone knows how I could find one, that'd be great...

...elynnia

was my post invisible? or he just doesnt understand?

I do understand, but I beg to differ, and I genuinely think the 45+ year old archtop for under $400 is a very reasonable condition. Looking on ebay.com, at one time anyone can find a number of Kay, Harmony and random blank-headstock archtops that surely are 40+ years old that fit the price criteria too.

elynnia

I got my 1961 hollow Kay free, because people like to give me things (it's like when people think they need to give gifts to God, to please him. LOL !). But it's not an arch-top, so it doesn't count.

But then there's the Erlewine/Galloup neck resetting video, where they are working an a 50's or 60's archtop, hollow Kay, I believe, and Dan says : " we saved this guitar from the trash. Someone was throwing it away".

Ok, so I guess that leads to the question of what you are going to do if you find one dirt cheap and it needs hundreds of $$ worth of work to be a decent playing instrument ? That tends to be the case, with an old hollow body that's been left in the attic, or the storage room in the basement, or probably the worst : out in the garage, or shed.