Drilling Through Glued On Maple Veneer

A wooden block that is clamped firmly over the top of where you are drilling may help, but may well be more trouble than it's worth.

Normally a wooden block would be placed on the back of what you are drilling through so that the object wood doesn't split. In this case, if you put it on the front, it would probably be a nightmare trying to drill in the right place.

I think the age old saying of "Try it on a bit of scrap first". Have you got a bit of wood and a bit of vaneer left?

Yes hopefully (rerouting from back), as i would like to be able to show off the flame in all its glory without a pickguard. None of this has even begun by the way, I was just working it out in my head. Any tips on how to put the control cavity on the other side? I will definitely try all processes on bits of veneer and wood, im not screwing up my new guitar...its just not my main one and I have caught the modding bug.

Use a high quality Brad-Point drill bit. They have flutes along the outer edge that score the drilling area first, as well as a central pin point for accuracy. They are actually specifically designed for wood.

Honestly, other than backing the exit side, I just use sharp bits and high speed and let that do the work (little pressure, ie, slow feed rate). Clamp the piece, and just drill. Reversing, etc. seems like a case of severly overthinking this. Only place I use a bit of masking tape is if I'm drilling a finished surface.