Using My Jointer Planer

woodsman1031

I have an old delta 4"jointer planer with a new baldor motor mounted on the stand connected with a belt. I bought this thing over a year ago and tried to use it but it keeps "sniping" is what I am told it is doing.

Could someone please instruct me on how to use this tool. I dont know if the in and out table is adjusted correctly or how to feed it. I have been told I am not doing it correctly by local people but noone has ever instructed me on using it. :D

I have not even tried it in a year, but I would love to be able to use it.

I think it would be a great tutorial subject.

Thanks

Which side is it "sniping" on? The most likely answer is that if it(the sniping) is on the entry end, your exit roller has too much pressure on it. If it's on the exit end, your entry roller has too much pressure on it. If it's on both ends, both rollers have too much pressure on them. Also, if you're using roller supports, they could potentially be raised too high. Understand that these aren't the only reasons you could be having the problem you're having, but it's possible.

peace,

russ

EDIT:Sorry, just noticed it was a jointer, not a thicknesser. Ok, check two things. First, check to make sure your knives are adjusted propperly. If they're not all on the same plane, you won't cut correctly. Also, set your outfeed table just a hair lower than your knives(when I say a hair, I mean a hair).

Edited by thegarehanman

I have an old delta 4"jointer planer with a new baldor motor mounted on the stand connected with a belt. I bought this thing over a year ago and tried to use it but it keeps "sniping" is what I am told it is doing.

Could someone please instruct me on how to use this tool. I dont know if the in and out table is adjusted correctly or how to feed it. I have been told I am not doing it correctly by local people but noone has ever instructed me on using it. :D

Thanks

Hello Woodsmen,

What part of East Texas are you in? Would a drive to Dallas be wayout for you to get some instruction? If not , and your jointer is a bench model.. (meaning you can bring it with you) I would be glad to help you set it up and teach you how to use it. PM me and let me know what I can do to help as, Hands on instruction with this will be your best bet as Jointers can be finicky and dangerous.

Mike K

Could someone please instruct me on how to use this tool. I dont know if the in and out table is adjusted correctly or how to feed it. I have been told I am not doing it correctly by local people but noone has ever instructed me on using it. B)

Hello Woodsmen,

What part of East Texas are you in? Would a drive to Dallas be wayout for you to get some instruction? If not , and your jointer is a bench model.. (meaning you can bring it with you) I would be glad to help you set it up and teach you how to use it. PM me and let me know what I can do to help as, Hands on instruction with this will be your best bet as Jointers can be finicky and dangerous.

Mike K

Mike,

I sure appreciate it but this is a floor model and believe it or not I am a Texan without a pickup! :D

I am near Palestine if you ever happen to be down this way.

Thanks

Tommy

"believe it or not I am a Texan without a pickup!" LOL:))))

I appreciate that, I have 3 an F150 super crew( wifes truck), F350 Crew cab 4x4( mine) and an F150 extended cab ( youngest daughters). LOL:))) Email me at mike @ampcore.com with your phone#. I'll see if we can connect and Maybe I can help you over the phone and get you going.

Also if you could send some pics I might be able to see the problem. I hope!!!!

edited to add: Tommy what is the model # and make again? MAybe I can help you find a users guide and owners manual. That would be a good place for setup info. I have a few sources for older equipment for documents.

MIke

Edited by MiKro

"believe it or not I am a Texan without a pickup!" LOL:))))

I appreciate that, I have 3 an F150 super crew( wifes truck), F350 Crew cab 4x4( mine) and an F150 extended cab ( youngest daughters). LOL:))) Email me at mike @ampcore.com with your phone#. I'll see if we can connect and Maybe I can help you over the phone and get you going.

Also if you could send some pics I might be able to see the problem. I hope!!!!

edited to add: Tommy what is the model # and make again? MAybe I can help you find a users guide and owners manual. That would be a good place for setup info. I have a few sources for older equipment for documents.

MIke

Mike,

Thanks for your help!

the metal tag on the front reads "delta-milwaukee homecraft" the tag on the back reads "Rockwell, Delta power tool division" that is the only info on it.

It is the type that mounts on a stand and the motor is on the stand connected with a belt. It is all steel and it weighs a TON! :D

this thing is probably 50s or 60s vintage, my bandsaw is the exact same brand/vintage and my bandsaw could not serve me better, so I think this jointer/planer is worth setting up and learning to use.

I can take a picture if you think it will help

Thanks!

Tommy

The outfeed table should be set to the same height as the top of the knives at their highest point. You can do this with a straightedge on the outfeed table extending over the cutterhead. Slowly turn the cutterhead by hand ( with the pulley or belt ) If the knives push the straightedge up at all, raise the outfeed table until they just barely touch the straightedge. Then bring the infeed table to the same height and lay the straightedge across both tables to make sure they are both level with each other. If not, the outfeed table needs to be shimmed until the two tables are totally in a straight line. Then check to see if the outfeed table is still the right height with regard to the cutterhead. When you get that right, lock the outfeed table down and leave it that way. Depth of cut is controlled by the infeed table height ONLY. Start the wood across the infeed table, into the cutterhead, and as soon as enough of it is on the outfeed table, take all downward pressure off the infeed end of the wood and keep it flat on the outfeed table as you push it through.

Is this what you have? If so, you'll find a .pdf of the Owner's Manual (with alignment instructions) here. If that's not it, look around the site and you still might find it.

Rockwell bought Delta about 1945 and owned it until the mid 1980s.

Thanks GarageRocker!!

I found mine on the site, it was made in 1955. I was in a bit of a hurry and did not look for the owners manual are they on the same site?

Thanks

Tommy,

It seems that you have been able to find some literature on your jointer. That's great. It should hopefully give you some info on the setup which will help you understand how it works. If I can find some time I might try and get your way if you still have problems. Have a good one. and let me know if there is anything I can do to help .

MK

Tommy,

It seems that you have been able to find some literature on your jointer. That's great. It should hopefully give you some info on the setup which will help you understand how it works. If I can find some time I might try and get your way if you still have problems. Have a good one. and let me know if there is anything I can do to help .

MK

Thanks Mike!