Advanced Black Ice Overdrive Wiring

Islandstone007

Yes, I know it. You don't have to say it. I have searched for strawberry ice on the forum, pretty few topics about it. So...

I have an idea. I want to have a guitar with a ON/OFF switch to toggle the overdrive on and off. Does the tone pot was adjust the overdrive-level? (I would belive so...) If not i would be happy if i could get that too :D .

Is this possible and could someone please tell me how to do it? Give me a way to do it, not just the parts i need

I repeat, do not ask me to search for strawberry ice, since the topics i found did not give me the answer I wanted. I hope I made that clear.

Have a nice day :D

Telling people what to and what not to do really isn't the right way to get ***free*** advice. :D . This really isn't advanced at all. It's actually very common to have adjustable overdrive in the case of a strawberry ice set up. You just put the two diodes in place of where a cap would traditionally go on a tone pot. Having an on/off switch is also quite easy. You just using a double pole single throw(on/off) in between the diodes and your hot wire. My knowledge of the specifics of fine tuning a strawberry ice are none, but you understand the general idea.

peace,

russ

Oh NO...the most asked question... :D

Anyway, the next person who seaches will get this thread, so here's the link for those who may come accross it in the future...Strawberry Ice Link

Yes, as stated, you could replace the tone cap with the diodes back to back. You could also just use one, or different diodes to get different kinds of asymetric clipping. From all reports though, the black,red,green or whatever flavour mods are not really effective with your average pickups as they just don't have the output to drive them.

Now with active electronics, this simple clipping circuit is the basis for a whole family of distortion boxes such as the tube screamer. But, I f you were going to go active there are probably more versitile arrangements such as the booster,distortion idea JohnH recently posted...Booster Overdrive Project...but then you'd need to install a battery....pete

one of the easiest ways to do what you want is to forget about the tone pot. solder one end of your two diodes to either the pos or neg prong on the output jack...let's say the pos. run a jumper from the other end of your diodes to one pole on your switch. run a jumper from the other pole of the switch to the neg side of your ouput jack and you're done.

Advanced Black Ice wiring is an oxymoron - this is about as simple as diode distortion gets, a totally passive clipper, and it doesn't work at all unless you've got pretty hot pickups. To make it switchable, follow unclej's instructions - if you want more bells and whistles, buy or build a distortion pedal. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch, and you're never gonna turn this little gimmick into a Tubescreamer! :D

I tried the black ice a few years ago and it wasn't what I thought it would be. So it was sitting on the shelf for a few years until I decided to rewire one of my guitars. I finally got it working to some degree of satisfaction. Maybe my playing has changed a bit over that time. :D Its definitely not some kinda super saturated distortion built into the guitar. But when wired up with the right hardware it adds a good edge to the clean sound.

I played the sound clip from that strawberry ice link I gave earlier...teamed with "chinese kramer humbuckers" and it was quite impressive in both symetric and asymetric mode...perhaps the thing "can" work...but you'd certainly need some power coming out to have an effect. (BTW cheap humbuckers doesn't necessary imply a lack of power, just tone quality.)

Overwhelmingly the reviews of this device/mod is bad to "it doesn't work at all" and so have never given it a go, and dont really think I will... :D ...pete

My contribution to these threads is to say dont buy a Blackice for $30. Spend $1 on two IN5419 Schotky diodes. Put them back to back across the output, testing them outside of the guitar. Also try it with just one. It does work, but it is a dry kind of sound and the appeal soon wears off. The best application is to replace a cap on the tone control, and set the tone to not quite max , so there is some resistanace in series with the diodes. This adds a little grit to the clean sound without squashing it too much. It is well worth $1 to try it, but not too much more.

John

One thing good about the pedals (tube screamer, etc) is that you can find everything you need to build one on the internet. At least I did. I didn't have to ask any questions that I can remember. The only problem is I don't know how to isolate/troubleshoot when a single component goes bad, and on the TS I made, I used mostly old parts and the unit only worked for a few months. But it was a wild one. Harmonics so big that I could claim them as dependents on my income tax.

Anyway, the next person who seaches will get this thread, so here's the link for those who may come accross it in the future...Strawberry Ice Link

decided to try this and ive ordered the diodes from mouser (not sure what delivery will be yet) and the on-off-on switch(will be adding it to a strat)

Fourteen bucks shipping to the UK really doesn't sound that unreasonable to me, but I'm no expert. Mouser charges me about six dollars per order, whether I order a few parts or a couple of hundred. I usually wait until I need several items and can afford to buy them in discount quantity, for just that reason. I understand your objection, but their shipping costs are fairly reasonable (at least compared to other electronics distributors over here, most of whom also have minimum orders of $25 or more). Just my two cents...

i agree about the shipping to the uk (if i was buying more than 10 diodes, maybe 5000 i wouldnt care) but ive had stuff from the usa before and its only cost me $6-8, the worst part is they dont let you cancel orders/find out what shipping will be, untill the item has shipped, it better come fast anyhow, TO THE BAT CAVE! #%! i mean TO THE WORKBENCH!

Yes, I know it. You don't have to say it. I have searched for strawberry ice on the forum, pretty few topics about it. So...

I have an idea. I want to have a guitar with a ON/OFF switch to toggle the overdrive on and off. Does the tone pot was adjust the overdrive-level? (I would belive so...) If not i would be happy if i could get that too :D .

Is this possible and could someone please tell me how to do it? Give me a way to do it, not just the parts i need

I repeat, do not ask me to search for strawberry ice, since the topics i found did not give me the answer I wanted. I hope I made that clear.

Have a nice day :D

finally found somthing usefull...

i was going to mod my strat (which i dont care about) but looking for a telecaster mod (i dont want to mess with any hardware) i came across all the black ice wiring diagrams on stew mac http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-5065.html il be using the "push pull wiring 2" on the tele tone control

finally got some parts delivered =/ fedup of this already, all these shops are a complete let down

i ordered a dpdt (on,off,on) switch from banzaimusic.com and they sent me a spst(on,off,on) ...

Order date:   23-01-2006 00:15:28 

SKU16269 Miyama DPDT on/off/on Toggle Switch €3.25

and all the stuff from mouser hasnt arrived after i paid triple shipping.... (not by choice.)

...the diodes arrived (and they dont work)...
Try wiring 'em directly across the jack temporarily, no switch, no pot, no nothin'! I agree that this "mod' is pretty underwhelming, but it does do something if you wire it correctly.

Here is a sound clip that I did a while back, with one schottky wired as lovekraft suggests, using a fairly hot SC pup. It starts clean, then starts again with the diode. It is interesting to hear the decay on the last chord, which gets diode effect all the way down, not just when it is at max volume.

http://people.smartchat.net.au/~l_jhewitt/...chottkytest.mp3

Its not a killer sound, but it works.

John

il try it later on my strat the tele has been butchered enough...

edit

tried it just now cant get any sound change out of the strat, (didnt think it would work the pickups are lace transensors and not powerfull enough).

im still puzzled why it doesnt work with my telecaster...

it has a 7k bridge and a 8k humbucker (might be higher) should be getting somthing with the humbucker at least, il save these for a rainyday project i guess.

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

• 7 months later...

Well, i tried the "strawberry ice" thing, using LED's (because this is actually a fairly common way to cause clipping in preamp circuits) and it worked. Though I wired the 2 LED's to my tone control in place of the capacitor, and I couldn't vary the gain any. So it looks like if I make this a permanent addition I'll have to add a switch. But the overdive was kinda tubey sounding, and I definitely noticed it when I kicked on the distortion. So there is some merit to this mod after all. :D For me at least B)

Keep Rockin'!! :D