Short Scale Length Strat

I had an 80's Squier MIJ strat, Rear-rout, Bucker bridge + two single coils. 24-3/4" scale length. Stock fender trem with 'Fender' stamped on the saddles. Trem block was even gray painted steel, like on old Fenders. Sold it because I found the nut width to be a little more narrow than what I like, but if I wanted it back, I think I could buy it back from the guy. I was able to get Gibsonish tones out of that thing, that I just can't get from a strat with the 25.5" scale.

Just a question I had...would a Floyd work with the shorter scale? I mean, one of the reasons I prefer the Gibson scale is because I like the looser string tension. But it seems to me that the strings are just too wobbly to use with a Floyd type trem. If it doesn't sound weird, then I don't see how you'd keep it in tune. I may be wrong though, I've never tried it. Most I'd go for would be a bigsby.

Yeah, there is a noticible differnce in stretch between short and long scale, they certainly affect teh tone, but it's all personal choice- When I was starting off, I loved 24.75 as it felt easier- But Sultens of Swing called me onto a strat and after I made the switch I could never go back to 24.75- I'm actually building a 25.5 mahagney P90 guitar now to see if I can get some of the old SG sound since I dont play 25.5 any more-

hope this helps-

its all a matter of opinion. some people love 24.75 in. scale lengths, and hate 25.5s and others are the opposite. personally, i like gibson guitars better than fender, but I like the fender scale much better than the gibson, and I can play faster on a fender than a gibson. so it just depends on your hands

I'm stuck in the middle; pretty much all my electrics (except the strat and tele copies that are awaiting finishes) have 25" scales. Nice, in-between length, comfortable, does the trick. I'm not wilder about the shorter scales, although I don't mind them. I've got not-too-huge hands, but they're flexible enough to do large stretches. My acoustics have the fender 25.5" scale. Reason: want the tension, and those are the two I've got a template for ;-)