The Best Way To Make Wood Knobs?

You have to lathe them. I don't see how it could be done any other way.

quite right . a vise, a drill motor and a steady hand (holding a file or sand paper) will do in a pinch if you have no lathe. consider the golden rule. if you dont have the right tool,improvise. a motor is a motor, a vise ise is a vise. you do the math.......................................................................keep slidin,.ed

I've made them with plug cutters out of 7/8" mahogany plank. I start with a cutter that has the center pilot drill bit then finish off with the type that does not have the center bit. Mounted in a drill press is best. Then remove the plug, drill the center to the required depth and mount onto a drill shaft for sanding/tapering.

Edited by Southpa

Drill the hole just the right size and the splines on the pot shaft do well enough to hole the knob tight. A little bit of adjustment can be made on split shafts. I've never had to use inserts. I don't turn the knobs to the stops hard enough to strip the hole. But if that is a worry then a very hard wood could be used. I've already looked around for inserts and, aside from getting them by smashing old stereo knobs with a hammer, I haven't found any for sale in my location. :D

Edited by Southpa

Thanks Southpa. Smashing plastic knobs like that is a great idea, and some are really cheap too! Use the right hole size and some epoxy and that should work perfectly.

Sorry, I was in the solid shaft mode... it's the only kind I use. Wouldn't removing the knobs and putting them on again a few times trash the hole? I would think so.

Maybe a piece of small diameter brass pipe would work? It's got 1/16" walls and I think you can get it with about a 1/4" center. With a little "cleaning out" of the hole that just might work. Hmmm... I might give it a shot.

Of course there are those threaded inserts available from Woodcraft and all sorts of other woodworking supply places. They come in fine thread, and they might be easy to drill out too.

-Doug

Try this:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...highlight=knobs

You have to scroll down a ways to find the actual topic.

EDIT: And this:

http://www.joshcurry.com/Projects_Knobs.aspx

Edited by M_A_T_T