Scarf Joints

wwood

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to create a particular scarf joint, well I think it's a scarf joint, it may well not be.

Pic below:

scarf.jpg

I've seen this joint on many kinds of guitars before but am unsure how to re-create it, as you can see it's kind of half eliptical.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

ww

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to create a particular scarf joint, well I think it's a scarf joint, it may well not be.

Pic below:

scarf.jpg

I've seen this joint on many kinds of guitars before but am unsure how to re-create it, as you can see it's kind of half eliptical.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

ww

That's just the way the neck was carved - if you look at the join line it follows one straight-line plane. All it is that's different from most scarfs is the fact that the neck laminates stop, which clearly shows the glue line.

Interestingly enough, this looks like one of my necks! Ha....

Anyway, put stripes in the main billet then use a plain piece for the headstock. When the neck is shaped it will naturally turn out just like you see it. Using a 1" thick headstock piece will provide an ample volute. If no volute is desired then use a thinner heastock and the curved ending to the stripes will be closer to the nut.

-Doug