Restoring A Squire.. Neck Question!

I want to restore my good ol' Squire. The stock neck is CRAP so I'm gonna make my own! My first, by the way. I figure it'd be a good idea to make this my first considering it's a squire.

ANYWAYS:

I was shopping for fretboards at Stew-Mac. I decided on a preslotted (one step at a time) but it seems they only have 24 fret dealies. As long as I get a 25.5 inch scale length, can I get one of those 24 fret guys? Also, can I do inlays after the fret's have been slotted?

THANKS!

Yes and yes. Doing inlays on a slotted board is no problem. If it is radiused it is a little bit trickier, but it can de done.

i dont think it will, the frets have to be a certain distance away from eachother and as a result, it will be longer, it would work, but there will be an over hang, so much so that your neck pickup would need to be removed and you would have trouble reaching 23rd and 24th frets i think you could just cut off the last 2 frets and it would be fine but im not 100%

They all come with 24 frets giving you that option. But you won't have enough clearance on your squier for the full 24 frets because of the neck pickup. Squier has 21 frets. You can make a 22 fret neck with a little overhang, just like a regular strat, but definitely not 24. When you get the fretboard simply cut off the last two frets leaving a bit extra beyond the 22nd fret. The scale length is 25.5" so the distance between the nut and bridge (at the first string) MUST be 25.5 inches. Your best approach is to try to copy your old neck to exact dimensions.

Edited by Southpa

i personally think that you should make sure your squier isnt plywood before you go through the trouble, my first electric guitar was a squier and it was. as for the neck you would have to have an overhang for the extra frets and it might interfere with the neck pup.