A Little Help With Floyd Rose Tremolo On Fender Strat?

Hi

Im a long time viewer and as u can tell by my nickname ima :D

Anyways

I recently bought the Saga ST-10 (its a guitar kit that comes with 3 piece basswood body, maple/rosewood fingerboard neck, prewired pickguard, etc) basically all I gotta do is paint and finish, cut the headstock

But I love the Floyd Rose Tremolo, actually I love tremolo period, but the vintage tremolos are lot more limited than say Ibanez LoPro, Floyd Rose.. especially the one Satriani plays

So I was wondering if I could modify the routing (which has the routing for Fender vintage tremolo) so I could put in a Floyd Rose or Ibanez along with the Locking Nut.

I often hear people say its too much trouble modifying it to Floyd Rose. That it's easier to just buy a guitar with a Floyd Rose system.

So if any, i mean ANY comment, advice, help, lecture, etc. could help!

Thanks a bunch

(i just noticed how formal my writing is... wierd...)

oh and i did search the forum but i think i got one where there was a guy who had some other guitar that he wanted to put a Fender tremolo in. which is pretty much opposite of what im trying to do... =/

Edited by redwhiteandthemaple

g'day

routing for a floyd is not hard provided you have access to, a router, a template and inverted flush trim bit, the bridge, and staight edge and other basic measurng tools

you can get a template from stewmac.com, as well as the bits, or you could make you own out of perspex and get the deigns from here, id recommend not getting a cheapo floyd off ebay, if you are really desperate and on a budget a mighty might floyd can be bought cheaply from here

but yeah its not that hard if you've got the right gear to do so

luke

:D

By the way does the length of the tremolo block have any effect on the sound or usage?

I mean I would think that longer block since the torque distance is longer, it's easier to bend with lesser power pressing the trem.bar

Or that's what I would assume.

Anything else?

thx!

and man... tremolo units are waaaayyy overpriced. :D

its just a chunk of iron with little bits...

By the way does the length of the tremolo block have any effect on the sound or usage?

I mean I would think that longer block since the torque distance is longer, it's easier to bend with lesser power pressing the trem bar

Yes. The block length does affect the 'feel' of a trem. Shorter blocks tend to feel stiffer than longer blocks. It's not dramatic, but it's noticed by most seasoned players.

Neither is bad; just depends on the feel you're in search of, or what a particular body requires.

Tremolo spring selection can also help with feel- shorter springs on the short blocks help get it closer to the feel of a long spring/long block setup.

Yes- tremolo springs come in different lengths. Please make sure to match sets when you install them on your guitars. B)

and man... tremolo units are waaaayyy overpriced. :D

its just a chunk of iron with little bits...

Preciesely cast/machined bits of plated/coated iron.