Ideal Weight?

Just a question to throw out. Wondering how you folks may respond. What do you consider to be the ideal weight for a solid body, 6 string electric guitar? I know, generally speaking, that "lighter is better", but for those of us who prefer a good quality hardwood with tone, sometimes a little extra weight will pay dividends in sound quality. But, how much is too much?

Mine generally work out to 7 or 8 lbs. Ideal weight? That varies with the individual. You got guys like Johnny Winter who have resorted to the Erlewine Laser for a standup guitar. He still plays the Gibson Firebird for slide work but usually while sitting down. He looks like a strong wind could blow him over and I can't see him lasting very long playing an LP weighing 11 or 12 lbs. :D

http://www.birdsongguitars.com/weights.htm

Edited by Southpa

the last guitar I made which was a soloist copy with neck thru ran about 10 or 11 pounds. It was also made out of purple heart and maple so there was no light weight wood in the thing. Personally I like a heavier guitar 7lbs is a minimum for me lighter then that and its just uncomfortable. I generally play V's anyway and they tend to be heavier anyways.

MzI

Well, I just got through running my 8.5 lb. Les Paul and my 4.5 lb. Strat through their paces. Let's just say I warm up with the Strat, practice on the Les Paul, and cool off back on the Strat. Tone is tone and weight is weight. Both are subjective, and if you don't know what you're doing, you can still build the biggest POS out of 300 year old heavy Mahogany while someone like Suhr or Perry can build something out of Poplar that'll kick its ass anyday.

I think the only way to know if a piece of wood is good for a guitar instead of a casket is to learn how to tap and select quality tonewood like a pro. Other than that, it's build and wait for the paint to dry, then string it up and see if it's better than the Squier in your closet.

Mine generally work out to 7 or 8 lbs. Ideal weight? That varies with the individual. You got guys like Johnny Winter who have resorted to the Erlewine Laser for a standup guitar. He still plays the Gibson Firebird for slide work but usually while sitting down. He looks like a strong wind could blow him over and I can't see him lasting very long playing an LP weighing 11 or 12 lbs. :D

http://www.birdsongguitars.com/weights.htm

Thanks for the input. I checked your site and found the details there to be very interesting. I was afraid my first project might be a bit "heavy", but it seems to be right in line with the random squire tele and strat weights you provided. Mine is built from cherry with a maple lam top. It weighs in at 8 lbs. 4 ozs., but is features a downsized body loosely based on the strat style.

Well, I just got through running my 8.5 lb. Les Paul and my 4.5 lb. Strat through their paces. Let's just say I warm up with the Strat, practice on the Les Paul, and cool off back on the Strat. Tone is tone and weight is weight. Both are subjective, and if you don't know what you're doing, you can still build the biggest POS out of 300 year old heavy Mahogany while someone like Suhr or Perry can build something out of Poplar that'll kick its ass anyday.

I think the only way to know if a piece of wood is good for a guitar instead of a casket is to learn how to tap and select quality tonewood like a pro. Other than that, it's build and wait for the paint to dry, then string it up and see if it's better than the Squier in your closet.

I totally agree that weight and tone are subjective things. I also agree that the builder must know how to "read" the qualities that may, or may not exist in a piece of wood. Some pieces will "ring" and others are just plain dead. I only threw this question out there to see what kind of opinions would come back. Thank you for yours.

I definitely prefer a lightweight guitar, but I'm just a singer...the real test for me is whether I can still stand up straight after a four-hour practice...

On the other, we spent the weekend recording... the lead guitarist wanted to try out a strat on one of the songs...we sent him right back to his Les Paul...that thing weighs a ton...but man, what a sound...