Questions About Basswood

Ok i have ran a forum search on basswood. I am aware of the tonal qualites and the fact that it is lighter and softer than alder or mahogany. My question is how soft is this wood? Does it take much of a bang to dent a basswood guitar? I am a bit wary of buying a basswood guitar in case i knock it into something (my guitar room is pretty small and i have already chipped the paintwork on my mahogany body, no damage to the wood) and put a big dent in the wood.

Very soft! I don't care much about that, guitars are meant to be played, not to be looked upon and placed on an Art gallery. A few dings is OK. My Kelly is basswood, and I like the tonal caracteristics of it. Bright but not to an extreme. I plan on switching between the EMG 81-85-60 to see how it behaves with them... right now it got 2- 81's and it have a nice bite, and great sustain.

Very soft! I don't care much about that, guitars are meant to be played, not to be looked upon and placed on an Art gallery. A few dings is OK. My Kelly is basswood, and I like the tonal caracteristics of it. Bright but not to an extreme. I plan on switching between the EMG 81-85-60 to see how it behaves with them... right now it got 2- 81's and it have a nice bite, and great sustain.

Try a plywood body with those EMGs.

Try a plywood body with those EMGs.

I already did!!! On the Squier strat, and they sounded like crap!

DSC00858.jpg

I know that a lot of people say that the EMG sound is sterile, but I do find the sound different from different guitars. So far all my 4 main guitars are EMG's, and they all sound different.