Does Everyone Agree..?

bobmirror

But your almost never playing the same things on electric as you are acoustic. Sure it would be hard to play a metal solo on an acoustic but it would be harder to play first posistion rythem chords on an electric.

I really don't think it's a question of "easier" and "harder" There just two very diffrent instrements played two very diffrent ways.

The possabilities with an acoustic are very very diffrent than electric. Some people might think it's harder to play an acousitc because you have to press harder on the strings to get them not to buzz. Personally I don't find it hard to fret an acoustic and if you do I would have to call you a sissy wimp :D

Thicker strings, meaning more tension, which requires more work. Neck size (if we're talking a neck size that falls within 'normal') has exactly nothing at all to do with how easy a guitar is to play or not, and everything to do with preference; I cannot express how annoying and painful to play (hand cramps) I find super-thin 'shred' necks. Ugh.

They're different instruments, often require different techniques, although in terms of speed and chops there are plenty of fingerpickers out there who put many a shredder to shame. Hell, listen to Leo Kottke play a 12 string. Personally, if I had to chose just one kind of guitar to play for the rest of my life it'd be steelstring acoustics.

Another reason, on cheap acoustics, is badly set action. You can't adjust it as easily on an acoustic as on an electric (lowering the saddle affects the sound, and can only go so low), and many low-end guitars end up with badly cut nuts and strings a mile off the fretboard.

Another reason, on cheap acoustics, is badly set action. You can't adjust it as easily on an acoustic as on an electric (lowering the saddle affects the sound, and can only go so low), and many low-end guitars end up with badly cut nuts and strings a mile off the fretboard.

Thats very true. A $4000 taylor (larviee, goodall, martin) plays like a dream.

if I had to chose just one kind of guitar to play for the rest of my life it'd be steelstring acoustics.

Ditto

Edited by Godin SD

An acoustic is more susceptible to changes in temp and humidity because of it's more vulnerable construction, therefore, to avoid constantly having to tweak the T-rod, swap the *non-adjustable saddle* to another one that might be perfect for the environmental conditions at that particular moment, the guitar is best set-up for a compromise , so it will still be playable even when the neck and body moves a little.

The inside of the typical acoustic body is exposed, thin, "raw" wood.

And as others have said, the acoustic often has heavier strings, thicker neck.

And there's the more cumbersome neck heel (in most cases), larger, uncontoured body, and often this "folky look" to it that makes you think you must play like a stoned hippy sitting on the grass in a park in 1969.

I also find with most acoustics, that almost every tone you hear from the instrument is quite predictable (sounds just like what you've been hearing on recordings all your life). And for me, that makes it harder for me to be creative with the instrument. In other words, instead of coming up with something new while I'm playing, my mind is distracted with thoughts of "oh yeah, that sounds just like that one song".

I have that same problem with Gibson electrics.

Hahahahahahaha. I don't think it's even a real fret. I think it's a drawing of a fret, from Stew-Mac's site, and it wasn't exactly fun drawing that on there with the Windows paint program, because I'm left handed, but only use the mouse with my right hand, which is why it looks like a little kid drew it.

It was also "insomnia inspired".

And as others have said, the acoustic often has heavier strings, thicker neck.

And there's the more cumbersome neck heel (in most cases), larger, uncontoured body, and often this "folky look" to it that makes you think you must play like a stoned hippy sitting on the grass in a park in 1969.

I also find with most acoustics, that almost every tone you hear from the instrument is quite predictable (sounds just like what you've been hearing on recordings all your life). And for me, that makes it harder for me to be creative with the instrument. In other words, instead of coming up with something new while I'm playing, my mind is distracted with thoughts of "oh yeah, that sounds just like that one song".

I have that same problem with Gibson electrics.

Here is some acoustic stuff that doesn't sound like 1969-stoned-in-the-park-folkie-protest-crap.

Al Di Meola anyone?

Shred on an acoustic :D (faster than your normal shred actually)

Try to find Mediterranean Sundance... Stupidly fast stuff!!!

Anyways... I say acoustics are great but I wouldn't live without both electric and acoustic guitars... Just different music!!

Edited by Pr3Va1L

I, personally, find acoustics easier to play than electrics for most of the reasons stated by others that make them difficult. I am a bassist, though, so the thick, high tension strings a great for me, and finger picking is much easier. I also have large hands, so the thicker necks are perfect for me.