Alternative Body Woods?

I have a general idea of what makes a proper tonewood.It seems that mahogany is the mainstay for most bodies.My question would be what are other choices that are acceptable.The reason I am asking is that I ocassionally come across wood that I get for free or next to nothing.My first example is a beautiful slab of walnut that almost ended up in the burn pile. I ripped it and planed it and came up with a gorgeous 4 piece blank that has a stunning white strip down the middle(bookmatched).Is this ok to use as a guitar and if so would it matter what type it should be?Second is the use of oak.It seems to me that oak and ash are similar in density and grain.Will oak make a decent guitar? Thanks

It's probably just me but I have trouble finishing the endgrain on white oak. Acts a lot like wenge. Red oak splinters easy and tends to "burn" when I use a router and it is a little bland. Water oak is beautiful and fairly light when it is COMPLETELY dried. The smell is AWFUL, however. It looks a lot like poplar. I would not look forward to routing chambers in any oak to make the guitar lighter but, again, that is just me. I think you should use what you got. Colombus took a chance! ROCK ON! :D

I made a neck thru using white oak with mahogany wings for my first guitar. The neck "blank" came from lowes and cost about $6, However I had to search a couple different stores to find one straight enough. It is hard as iron and has alot of pores, I sanded linseed oil in it to fill the pores and it looked great :D . It is holding together just great after quite a few years it is still straight. I have yet to touch the double action trussrod.

I have robbed all the hardware off of it but I can post a picture of it if you want to see it

Oak is VERY bright sounding and you will want to use humbuckers.

I do not regret using the oak B)

DONT USE POPLAR I tried that one also. :D

Tommy

i've never used oak for a guitar though i've thought about it. i have, however made several guitars from walnut and love it. it works well, finishes well and is very stable when cured properly. the colors within walnut run from white to light brown to yellow and even pink. great looking stuff. it's a pretty dense wood and tends to run toward the bright side but with proper pickup selection you can make your guitar sound like whatever you want it to.

I di not mention this in my last post, but I would definatly build another guitar out of oak! I have used nothing but mahogany since but would not mind another oak project.

I like the way it smells when you machine it also

Go for it use the oak :D

Tommy

What's everyone's beef with poplar by the way? I haven't used it so I'm not countering that beef... but aren't the Parker Fly Deluxes poplar bodied?

Chris

It sounds OK, it is just really soft. The one I built with a poplar body and neck will dent with just a light fingernail push even after a hardened oil finish. It is also really fuzzy and tears easily when you machine it.

I may try it on some wings one day because I really like the purple green and yellow colors on it. I will lacquer it next time though. The different colors is not grain, I actually could not define the grain in the wood.

Tommy

What's everyone's beef with poplar by the way? I haven't used it so I'm not countering that beef... but aren't the Parker Fly Deluxes poplar bodied?

Chris

It sounds OK, it is just really soft. The one I built with a poplar body and neck will dent with just a light fingernail push even after a hardened oil finish. It is also really fuzzy and tears easily when you machine it.

I may try it on some wings one day because I really like the purple green and yellow colors on it. I will lacquer it next time though. The different colors is not grain, I actually could not define the grain in the wood.

I put a HB in it and it sounded like it was made out of cardboard. I then put a cheapie single in it and it really livened it up alot.

I guess poplar is allright, but not in the neck

Give it a try!

Tommy

Thanks all!! I sort of figured that walnut would be ok but I wasn,t sure about the oak.I have a bass made of oak about half done will post pics whenit is ready for completion.Hope it sounds good because I have enogh for about 12 guitars.I also would love to see that mahogany / oak guitar.Let,s see some pics!!

I'm building my first guitar right now it will have cherry wings with a maple neck. The neck is from Carvin (I'm not building the neck this time) a guy I work with gave me a cherry board so thats what I'm using for the wings. I'll let you know how it sound when I'm done, it will be a while though.

If anyones had any dealings with cherry I'd like to know what you think about it.

I'm building my first guitar right now it will have cherry wings with a maple neck. The neck is from Carvin (I'm not building the neck this time) a guy I work with gave me a cherry board so thats what I'm using for the wings. I'll let you know how it sound when I'm done, it will be a while though.

If anyones had any dealings with cherry I'd like to know what you think about it.

There's an elderly man I heard about who lives about 60 miles south of me who builds guitars by the name of Bob Pill. I went to visit him and talk about guitar building one day. He's actually used cherry to build a neck and top for a guitar, and it sounded great to me. This is the only picture I have of it, it's in the background behind the acoustic he made; which btw is one of the best I've ever played, period.

bobpill.jpg

The sad thing is that he has serious vision problems and is slowly going blind, but that didn't stop him from building these guitars. It's really amazing to me, and he even does inlays. Anyway, he said the cherry for the neck took a while before it became stablized, and that he worried that he might have made a mistake using it, but he put it aside and later it had no problems. So, I'd watch using cherry for a neck wood, unless you want to wait, or use carbon fiber rods to help it out. As far as the body goes, I think it will sound good with cherry wood top, it's worth a try...