Acoustic Build Jam Session

Here's the idea: one thread, several builders, all acoustics, all the time. An open, non-competitive space to showcase some amateur (and not-so-amateur) builders at work. No deadlines, no pressure, no competition, just a bunch of guys (and girls, in theory...but, yeah, probably guys) building acoustic instruments for your pleasure, following their own styles.

Rich (fryovanni) pitched the idea in a PM, and I like it; it prevents stuff from dropping way down the board (building acoustics can be slow work) and its a nice way to 'concentrate' the relatively limited number of acoustic builds. We both get the feeling that a lot of people really want to try building an acoustic, but are somewhat intimidated by the whole process. Hopefully, this would take some of the mystery out of it, while showing people different ways of achieving the same thing at the same time. This would let people see several different build approaches, probably different body styles, different bracing, different levels of complexity. A taste of what's out there; though acoustic guitar shapes don't vary as much as electric guitar shapes, there's still a lot of room for variation.

Rich is in, I'm in, I believe Setch, Russ, Myka, TGwah and (possibly) Hyunsu are in as well, so we've got a pretty decent sized team signed on, with a variety of experience levels! We haven't settled on a start date, but we need to give most of us a bit of time to get prepped, but it'll be a month or two yet, at the very least. As soon as the first person is ready, that's the kickoff, and people join in as it progresses.

I'm not entirely sure how this would work: just one thread for the 'builders', another thread for comments/questions relating to the build? Probably a nightmare to archive/re-read if its split up, even if it would clean things up. Tags/colour coding? Would it get too confusing, having so many builds in one thread? Keep in mind it's unlikely everyone will build at the same rate, so this could be an ongoing thread with entries spaced out quite decently.

There would only be a couple of 'rules' here:

1) have fun building: it's not a competition, no deadlines

2) Take pictures, more is better

3) Don't start posting shots until you start building; this isn't a 'what do you think of this design' thread, this is a build thread. A shot of your plans immediately prior to kicking off is fine.

So, questions? Comments? Any other takers?

I'll take the project on. Where do we post our project?

I have one suggestion. Create a forum subject called Acoustic build Jam or whatever and then give each person a number and allow them to make only one post. Like we do when we have PG of the month. It would be kind of long but full of info.

If you want to see another violin being made I may be in. I'm already working on it, but I'm only taking one photo per day I work on it, so it isn't a terribly detailed account.

I've been thinking about how to do this. While it would be more difficult on the face of it having two threads -- i.e. one for builders, one for questions -- it would keep things cleaner. The builders threads would be marked by each builders icon (or lack there of) which would make scrolling through to follow one specific build fairly simple. As for questions, is there not a way to jump to a specific post within a thread that would allow people to ask questions about a specific post/method/picture etc i.e. how did you do X here?

Perhaps if the threads become sufficiently popular, they may be pinned for easier access.

I've been thinking about how to do this. While it would be more difficult on the face of it having two threads -- i.e. one for builders, one for questions -- it would keep things cleaner. The builders threads would be marked by each builders icon (or lack there of) which would make scrolling through to follow one specific build fairly simple. As for questions, is there not a way to jump to a specific post within a thread that would allow people to ask questions about a specific post/method/picture etc i.e. how did you do X here?

Perhaps if the threads become sufficiently popular, they may be pinned for easier access.

Yeah, true. Might be worth putting a link to the discussion thread in the first message of the build thread and vice-versa, so people searching that find will also get the other. Also, see the little 'post #x' in the top right of each message in a thread? You can link to that.

Yeah, true. Might be worth putting a link to the discussion thread in the first message of the build thread and vice-versa, so people searching that find will also get the other. Also, see the little 'post #x' in the top right of each message in a thread? You can link to that.

That would be my vote. But I guess we should see how the other builders involved feel about it. :D

I think it shouldn't get too involved as far as cross linking and such. After all is said and done each builder can clean up their pics and info and place it in a single location. The idea is not to seperate it is to blend and keep the topic active. It would be nice if pics get placed in a thumbnailed gallery (each builer that is) that way people can view all pics of that project from a single location. Maybe a list of links in the first posting that leads to all the gallerys(new links added as needed)? I dunno. I am not very good with this these things so maybe I am out in left field. I just need to stick a few pics where people can find them, and thats about it.

Peace,Rich

So I take it you've gotten over your in-progress stage fright then, rich? hehe. This should be pretty fun. I should be closing on my very first house tomorrow, so I might end up getting a little behind on this build. It's not neccesarily the house that will keep me behind, as much as it is the fact that I'm building a 12'x30' workshop in back with a lumber loft and fully equiped 8'x8 spray booth. :D Very exciting stuff.

peace,

russ

I'd love it if someone could build something like a guitar I saw somewhere on the net... Really cool stuff...

Basically it was an acoustic with an armrest... It was actually a 'bevel' cut in the top and side of the guitar wich the hole has been replaced by a piece of wood (i think it was Koa)... Giving you a nice armrest

I'd like to see someone try that!

So I take it you've gotten over your in-progress stage fright then, rich? hehe. This should be pretty fun. I should be closing on my very first house tomorrow, so I might end up getting a little behind on this build. It's not neccesarily the house that will keep me behind, as much as it is the fact that I'm building a 12'x30' workshop in back with a lumber loft and fully equiped 8'x8 spray booth. B) Very exciting stuff.

peace,

russ

In-progress Lazy is probably more like it. :D Then again I am jumping on a topic that has multiple builds so I don't have to keep it active by myself B) (still pretty lazy of me).

Russ I wish I had your money(I think we have discussed this before). A college man buying his first mansion :D . When I was in school I could hardly afford Top Ramen. :D

Peace,Rich

Hahaha, rich, I'm dirt poor. I spend every $ I make on lumber(to emphasize this fact, let me just say that I drive a '92 buick). It's the rents that have the paydirt. This house is little more than a long term investment for them. However, they realise the neccesity of a shop; so we've settled on one the size of a small factory :D. I already have the tools for it. It's just a matter of building the barn. My dad and I should get it knocked out in a few weekends once we begin. First we need to recarpet some of the house, put ceramic tile down in others, and wood flooring in others. Some budies of mine are going to live with me to help suppliment the mortgage. Well, I digress from the aim of this thread.

Well I think Russ is pointing out the importance of a proper work space. I can't agree more, and spot on topic :D .

BTW: Thats a modern vehicle you are driving. My daily driver is a 67' Mustang(your car is 25 years newer than mine).

So if anyone else is interested in adding their project. Please jump in. After the builds get started, it will still be perfectly Ok to jump in and add your project to the topic. Open door to everyone.

Peace,Rich

Oh, poor rich, he's forced to drive a classic muscle car. Boooohoooo. As a totally selfless favor, I'm willing to trade vehicles with you; I'll even drive up there. I used to own a 300zx, but it ate my wallet.

So uh, when should I be expecting that lumber? :D I kidd. I can't help it; it's in my nature.

Oh, poor rich, he's forced to drive a classic muscle car. Boooohoooo.

I know! :D

I used to own a 300zx, but it ate my wallet.

A friend owned one of those up until last week when he flipped it five times and landed upside down in a ditch...walked away without a scratch!

Anyways, where is the actual thread to start posting in?

Oh, poor rich, he's forced to drive a classic muscle car. Boooohoooo.

I know! :D

I used to own a 300zx, but it ate my wallet.

A friend owned one of those up until last week when he flipped it five times and landed upside down in a ditch...walked away without a scratch!

Anyways, where is the actual thread to start posting in?

I had a GT3000 that like to nibble at the wallet, but an SUV decided it would ignore a stop sign and taught that little Mitsubishi a lesson(ouch).

Matt, maybe this weekend we could post up if you are ready to start it rolling. That would give the brains of this group a chance to work out any legistics that could make the topic flow better.

Does that sound reasonable to everyone?

Peace,Rich

I'd love it if someone could build something like a guitar I saw somewhere on the net... Really cool stuff...

Basically it was an acoustic with an armrest... It was actually a 'bevel' cut in the top and side of the guitar wich the hole has been replaced by a piece of wood (i think it was Koa)... Giving you a nice armrest

I'd like to see someone try that!

You mean like on a Ryan guitar or a Grit Laskin-style rest? I'm going to be doing that on a future build, but not on the one I'm planning on showcasing in this setup. That's a bit too much risk on one guitar for me (this one's the first with abalone purfling, a sound port, the second with a wedge, and it'll have a lot of inlay, so, yeah...)

Well I think Russ is pointing out the importance of a proper work space. I can't agree more, and spot on topic :D .

Importance...yes. Essential? No. Otherwise I wouldn't have built any guitars in the last 8 years :D

My workspace, to put it simply, is a rooftop terrace I reach by climbing out the single window of my small student room. Things that involve ZERO dust, or manageable dust (ie, pearl inlay = manageable dust. Everything else = not) can get done inside, because wood chips are easier to get out of carpet, I can't inhale it, and it won't kill me. My 'spray booth' for waterbased stuff is out a window, essentially, end of an unihabited hallway. The wood lives on top of the wardrobe out in the hallway, or leaning against the wall (larger boards), 'cept the acoustic stuff, which lives in stickered stacks above and below my TV. Kinda like this, but my stash of acosutic wood is 3-4 times as large now (I made, uh, thinner stickers to fit it all in):

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics3/tonewood02.jpg

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics3/tonewood03.jpg

So, er, yeah.

As for the plan, first person to be ready to go starting the thread, go for it. I'll hopefully wrap up mold building (few touchups) and side bender making (have rough-cut shapes I need to fine-tune and assemble) over the next couple of weeks