Drivers: Automatic To Manual?

M_A_T_T

Switching from Automatic to Manual  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I've got bad knees and I do quite a bit of town driving (normally into a building site in the middle of a city at 9am), then I should really get an auto, they're alot easiler in town and not so bad on the legs. Unfortunately, I couldn't bring myself to buy one and I suffer with a manual again (bought it last week).

The only thing that is really different between an auto and a manual is when you're going slow. Changing gear is so easy I'm not counting that. Once you're on the move, you ain't going to stall it so you don't have to worry. All you have to do is right foot down and left foot up, (accelerator down, clutch up) slowly and away you go. It is honestly, really easy to get the hang of. If you come to a stop, you put your foot on the clutch.

Like Maiden said earlier, fuel consumption depends how you drive. All things being equal, some modern cars have better fuel consumption in manual and some in auto. It really does depend on about 3 billion factors so I really wouldnt worry about that.

Could you get a driving lesson with an instructor for an hour or so to get some experience with a manual? I know that in the UK, if you do your test in an auto then you can't drive a manual. But if you take the test in a manual, you can drive both. Is it not like that over there?

Oh, on hills, you can just balance the car on the clutch if you're not stopping for too long, no need for brakes.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic