Re-dry Re-wetted Wood?

Hugo

Hi,

while rebuilding part of my house, my girlfriend helped me by collecting all debris and scrap pieces and put them out in te yard. Unfortunately, she also found my top-wood (flamed maple, bookmatched, etc) and put it on the stack outside as well. So when I loaded the trailer to take the scrap away, I found my two pieces wet and warped. They're about 1/2 inch thick. I took them back in and hit my girlfriend over the head with them, and then placed them in a warm, dry place. Any chance they will un-warp, dry and be useful again?

Cheers,

Hugo

Put damp cloths on the concave side. With that side up use a heat gun or iron to make some steam with the wet cloth. Once it is close keep more damp rags on it while you weigh it with somthing heavier. It will come out for the most part. Just takes time.

another thing you might try..and one that may help it dry out quicker..is to cut some fairly stiff 1x2's a little longer than the width of you top wood. you'll need 6 minimum..9 is better..lay 2 or 3 of them on a flat surface..your work bench or kitchen table..arrange them so that when you lay your top wood on them there's one at each end and one in the middle. now do what guitar guy said about steaming them and then lay your first piece down on the 1x2's. then put 2 or 3 pieces on top of that one and then lay your next piece on top and put the remaining 1x2's on the top of the stack. clamp all of that down or as was mentioned, stack something heavy on top. the 1x2's will allow air flow helping them dry quicker and reducing the chances of mold growing on the wood.

good luck

Thanks, lads, it's very close to straight, again. But what is the idea behind weighing it? I already pu a lable on it, telling my girlfriend to LEAVE IT ALONE.

Cheers,

Hugo

When you wet the wood, it swells more on that side, flattening it all out. When it dries again, since one side is wetter than the other, you risk it cupping again, just as badly, maybe worse, maybe a bit better. Stickering and weighting it prevents it from moving while it dries, and should leave you with the straightest possible wood at the end of the road.