Tuneomatic Tilt?

28if

I'm installing a tuneomatic into my next guitar. Is it nessecary to install the bridge at a tilt? I see this on a lot of guitars but I don't really know why it's done, since it has the adjustible saddles for intonation. If it is nessecary to install at a tilt, is there a specific angle it should be at? Thanks.

I'm installing a tuneomatic into my next guitar. Is it nessecary to install the bridge at a tilt? I see this on a lot of guitars but I don't really know why it's done, since it has the adjustible saddles for intonation. If it is nessecary to install at a tilt, is there a specific angle it should be at? Thanks.

The saddles are adjustable, just not enough. Great design, eh?

Is it that you object to the angle, or you're just wondering why it's there?

I believe there are some tuneamatic-style bridges that provide more adjustment width, so you can set the bridge straight. Can't remember the brands offhand, I'm sure someone has a link.

An alternative is a wraparound style (or all-in-one bridge without the need for a tailpiece), which allow you to adjust the angle of the bridge itself, as well as the individual saddles. There are some nice designs for that --I really like that Hipshot Baby Grand. But again, you might have to live with an angled bridge.

Just set it so that the high e saddle is set at your scale length when adjusted fully forward and then slide the bass post about 1/8" from there.

This is how I do it. It gives me 2 degree angle.

Araz

Same here.

Stewmac has a very nice calculator that does the same...I think it is part of their fretboard calculator. Pick your scale length and number of frets and it will tell you how/where to place the bridge - depending on what bridge you have (a TOM will have different placement than say a schaller roller bridge on the same guitar).