Attaching Fretboard

JonStradling

Hey, I have a neck, a finger board and some frets and a nut, I thought I could put it all together myself, but as this is my first project and I am lacking the equipment/money (at 16 i need the money for a car, not an arbor press or another real tools) Is there anyone here I could send the parts to and have it assembled for a price? All help is greatly appreciated, thanks :D

We could also talk him through it. Kevan and AlexVDL are the resident neck guru's that come to mind.

If there's a chance we could see a picture posted (borrow a digital camera and email to someone that could post it even), we could talk you through it using the tools you have.

I just hate for you to spend money on postage when you could have the benefit of DIY for the same cost. You probably just need some wood glue, some super glue and a minimum of tools like a hammer and some rubber bands.

yeah I don't have access to a router and i don't have the money to spend on one right now. I'd be willing to pay someone to do this for me. The fretboard is wider than the neck and needs to be cut to fit it right and I just don't have the tools/experience to do it correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see the photos.

I wouldn't do it for free, but if someone does it for free, I'd like to suggest that they clamp it dry first, drill a couple holes at each end in one of the fret slots (hopefully it ain't got frets installed already) with a bit about .022". drill the holes through the fret-board into the neck. Later when there's wet glue, the fret-board is going to slide all over the place. To avoid that being a problem, you put some small rods into those drilled holes to position the fret-board. leave them there. Later they can be taken out by clamping a pair of vise-grips on 'em and twisting while pulling. they can be heated to make it easier.

If the frets have to be put in the board, well, that's a whole fret-job right there, minus the pulling of the old frets. That ain't cheap if done by a pro.

If it was mine, I'd install the fret-board. then rig it up to a junk body, strung to pitch, and leave it that way for many months(keeping it in tune and adjusting the truss-rod), before I'd do the fret-job.

I'd like to suggest that they clamp it dry first, drill a couple holes at each end in one of the fret slots (hopefully it ain't got frets installed already) with a bit about .022". drill the holes through the fret-board into the neck. Later when there's wet glue, the fret-board is going to slide all over the place. To avoid that being a problem, you put some small rods into those drilled holes to position the fret-board. leave them there.

that's eseentialy the stewmac staple trick... kinda B)

ok well since no one's going to help this pour guy out, i'll volunteer to do it for free if you pay shipping both ways, but i'll also say that i've only fretted one neck, it came out good, but just letting you know, i'm not a certified pro anything, at least not yet :D