Any Shop In Montreal ?

Thunderblitz

Hey Quebec people,

I was wondering if theres any shop around Montreal to work on guitars ???

I dont care if it costs something, I need a shop !!!

I believe Wilkat Guitars is in your neck of the woods. He does some beautiful custom guitar work (by the pictures on his page) and also performs repairs and mods from what I gather. I would give him a try.

BTW - I have no direct experience with him. I've heard good things about him on other forums and I considered approaching him about a custom until I discovered Project Guitar.

I found nothing, nada :D

I guess I should need to rent the tools to the tool rental place but if I need a tool for one little thing, it'll suck. I dont have any tools considering that I dont have alot of money.

ADMIN EDIT: Thunder- please re-read the rules and don't do back-to-back (to back) posts. Just edit your initial post.

Well, do what most of us do: start with the bare minimum (selection of hand tools, a decent mid-sized router), save, and move on from there. That is, if you want to pursure this hobby. Guitarbuilding isn't about saving money, or making instruments as good as those you can buy for less (ignoring the time spent, even), at least not for the first, well, many years, for most. It's about being passionate about building. You can get a lot done with minimal initial investments and a lot of ingenuity (seriously, renting power tools, unless they're really expensive power tools you'll only use once, is a bit silly), but don't bother if you're trying to save yourself some cash. Even if you do have more time than money, it's highly unlikely you'll end up with something better than you could buy for the same money in a store.

Still, I reccomend this hobby to anyone who's got the drive. Because it's fantastic.

I guess there's some guys who wouldn't mind someone coming around and renting tools and shop space. I'm not one of them. The way I see it, if someone doesn't have these tools, then they are probably not good at using them, and a lot of guitar tools can easily get messed-up with improper use.

How much should a person charge to let someone use their tools, and is it worth it, to have to worry about them dropping your precision ground straight-edge on the floor ?

Check the City of Montreal website. Here's a link to their Répertoire des Sports et Loisirs. I had a quick look in the Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve PDF document and they have Ébinisterie (french for Woodworking). Some of the other regions might have it, too. I've never been to any of these activities so I don't know if they have specific curriculum or if you can have total freedom. But I think it's worth checking out and would probably be very inexpensive since these activities are subsidized by the city.

Edited by Saber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

as for ppl saying that you'll find something similar in a shop for less money..I think it can be true...but if you look at specs..I don't think that big companies cares a lot about the wood put into their guitars..unless you go for crazy quality brands, I'm pretty sure you can build a better quality guitar (choice of wood, 1 piece quartersawn stuff, carbon rods) for the price of a Gibson or even less (once you have the tools), especially since you're doing it yourself, you don't have to pay for ppl building it. I don't look at money really much as my first guit with all the tools will have cost me like 2500$can and probably more as I'm always looking at different tools and gadgets. ...but for a custom guit, I doubt that any company will do me one for such a price..usually way higher than that..of course you have the whole resale value thing..I don't care since I'm mostly doing guitars I'll keep..so for me yes I'll be saving some money :D

Edited by sekler

as for ppl saying that you'll find something similar in a shop for less money..I think it can be true...but if you look at specs..I don't think that big companies cares a lot about the wood put into their guitars..unless you go for crazy quality brands, I'm pretty sure you can build a better quality guitar (choice of wood, 1 piece quartersawn stuff, carbon rods) for the price of a Gibson or even less (once you have the tools), especially since you're doing it yourself, you don't have to pay for ppl building it. I don't look at money really much as my first guit with all the tools will have cost me like 2500$can and probably more as I'm always looking at different tools and gadgets. ...but for a custom guit, I doubt that any company will do me one for such a price..usually way higher than that..of course you have the whole resale value thing..I don't care since I'm mostly doing guitars I'll keep..so for me yes I'll be saving some money :D

You can, yes, but the simple fact is that you'll never get your money back if you sell it, and you'll be lucky if it's of the same quality as a high-dollar guitar. Eventually you'll get to a point where your guitars are at least equal to the major factory output in quality, but there's a learning curve to contend with. The quality of the parts and materials in no way guarantees a great outcome.

Don't do this if you want to save money.