Mango?

i know mango wood has been used on ukulele's, however, have any of you ever used it for building an electric guitar? if so, does it need grain filling? is it an easy wood to work with? what is your opinion on the tone. searching has yielded very little.

Here is a picture of a mango capped guitar.

http://www.rrow2.freeserve.co.uk/guitars/n...r/N4_guitar.htm

Looks great.

:D

thanks... interesting and different. looks pretty nice with the dye. do u know if this type of wood required grain filling?

I just purchased a Mango capped Alder body that Warmpth had on sale. I wetted down the body with water to see what the grain would look like. The water didn't soak into the Mangoas as fast the alder. If that means anything. I also called Stewmac about buying water based brushing varnish and they told me if I applied sanding sealer and the wood doesn't require it it would simply sand out and no harm done. But I am no expert on woodworking.

I am probably going call Warmoth and ask them.

Well I did. I was told to dye the top and then grain fill the whole guitar. Then spray the back with a translucent tinted varnish. And then apply the coating. He also said that was the first Mango capped body that he can recall being sold. He suggested Guitar ReRanch as a source of info.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of finshing will respond because I am a newbe.

I will post a picture of the body for you in a couple of days.

Tony..

thanks... interesting and different. looks pretty nice with the dye. do u know if this type of wood required grain filling?

It has varied grain some parts open and some tight. . I used a pre stain wood conditioner first and then dyed it red with a wood dye I found at a local hardware store made by La Maison Saman. Raspberry stain. Unfortunately as it turned out it is used for Tole painting. I looked terrible so I washed it and sanded it off. I then used a penetrating wood stain (Moores Golden Oak) and stained the whole body. It turned out better than I expected but a pro would probably get better results. Here is a picture of the body wetted down with water to bring out the grain.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/bugla/Mango3.jpg