Who Here Has Seymour Duncan Pickups?

Max_Powers

I have a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.

For awhile I only had a JB in the bridge and it sounded better distorted. Now that I have the SH-2 installed in the neck, even with my switch on the bridge position, it sounds pretty different.

Not as much bite, bassier. The cleans are nothing short of amazing, however.

What are your experiences with them? What do you like/dislike?

Edited by Max_Powers

That set is very popular and I like it. I use their LiveWire most of the time.

Did you change the pots, or cap...anything else in the chain?

I put in a .047 cap and switched one of my gibson pots to a 500k because i broke a piece off of the original. I am pretty sure gibson had 500K pots for the volume and tone before hand anyways.

I might change the tone pot as well, just in case, since there are no markings on it.

I put in a .047 cap and switched one of my gibson pots to a 500k because i broke a piece off of the original. I am pretty sure gibson had 500K pots for the volume and tone before hand anyways.

I might change the tone pot as well, just in case, since there are no markings on it.

Not to mention the feedback I'm getting......

My current setup is an H/S/H with '59 bridge + neck and an SSL-2 Vintage Flat in the middle. It has a 5-way switch + coil splitting, and is extremely versatile.

The bridge '59 has a nice aggressive edge, but it still cleans up well. I play through a tube rig that is very touch sensitive, so the ability to clean things up by rolling off the volume is really important to me. You tend to lose that with hotter pickups. I used to have a JB in the bridge... it was ok, but I've grown to prefer a vintage PAF-type sound.

I may try some Lindy Fralin PAFs in the future, but I'm pretty happy with the Duncans.

Mike

i have an invader in the bridge and a 59 (?) in the neck. i love them. the invader in the bridge is GREAT for metal rythem.

No, no its not, its a crap pickup. Way too mushy. Suited to guys who love to turn the gain up to ten because they think thats "more metal".

My maple tele has the vintage '54 (STL-1) in the bridge and Hotstack (STK-1) for a neck pickup. The hotstack is VERY good for rhythm and blues and you get some good tonal variety when coil splitting. I'm also a sucker for bar magnets. Both pickups do the job nicely.

i have an invader in the bridge and a 59 (?) in the neck. i love them. the invader in the bridge is GREAT for metal rythem.

No, no its not, its a crap pickup. Way too mushy. Suited to guys who love to turn the gain up to ten because they think thats "more metal".

Right on :D

:D

On the JV-1 guitar I made, I used the same pickup configuration as your talking about. Seymour Duncan Jazz(SH-2) for the neck, and JB(SH-4) in the bridge, and sounds great to my ears. I personally like the sound of Seymour Duncan pickups, but there are a lot of great pickups out there, so it pays to be open minded too.

It's very possible that's the difference you're hearing. Even a pot change *can* change the sound, not all pots sweep range are exactly the same and some have minor resistance differences wide open. Between that and the cap is probably what you're hearing. :D

It's very possible that's the difference you're hearing. Even a pot change *can* change the sound, not all pots sweep range are exactly the same and some have minor resistance differences wide open. Between that and the cap is probably what you're hearing. :D

I ended up changing both pots to new 500k allparts pots. I put in that .047 cap and I must say that both my seymour duncans sound AMAZING! There was a problem with the pots and wiring from the previous user, everything sounded like crap. But now it sounds amazing, and the tone pot really changes the sound now.

I get quite a bit of feedback but it's tolerable for now. I'll have to figure that part out next.

My 7 string has a single pup....duncan invader....in teh bridge and just sounds so deep and deadly. my ibanez ahs an invader in teh bridge and a jazz in teh neck. the invader lets every note be heard so clearly and makes my harmonics squeel like theres no tomorrow. the jazz gives such a aprkling clean tone and sounds soooo good playin clean leads. in teh middle position the output is much lower tho and the guitar makes a lot of noise. but i just throw on the noise suppressor and the tone is just on godly level. the ibanez is much brigter than the 7 string...i think thats due to the construction and wood tho. i love duncan and use them exclusively...

-RAF