Fiber Glass

As far as a supplier for epoxy and fiberglass (or carbon fiber for that matter), check out the site for Jamestown Distributors. You can get a better idea of the stuff that's out there and they have a forum as well.

I got an interest in using alternative materials such as glass and started a thread last year on it. This is a quote from the first post, clicking the little pink arrow will take you to it. Basically a bunch of links...good to see some of the topic is of interest again lately both in this thread and others...

Not to take this off topic, but WOW! I started checking out some of the stuff like hyunsu's pine guitars and they are amazing. I'm sure some of the other stuff in those threads will also be exciting. I'll have to do some further digging but I can already see what is going to inspire my next hundred or so topic posts. :D

www.fiberlay.com

I believe the surfboard resin is crystal clear (take a wild guess what it is used for).

I've never had a problem with the resin (keep in mind polyester resin is easier to work with and cheaper than epoxy, but not as strong or resistant to shrinkage). I have had a nice rash when I accedentally squirted some MEKP hardener on my bare arm...THAT stuff is much more dangerous than the resin.

I think using a nice woven mat is a good idea for getting a nice "look" to a guitar, but would be much more trouble than it is worth if you are trying to add strength to an undersized neck.

Ok...another approach is to sandwich the glass...

Here is a guitar by Kritz which features a patented wood core carbon layer and timber outer shell. So keen on this asymetrical 4ever neck they don't even use a truss rod...hmmm I'm sure I've seen sandwich construction before...nevermind...

asym.jpg

Anyway...you could do similar with a very thin neck, layer of composite and a veneer over it so that it would look like wood but the strength wood come from this "exoskeleton" construction...the core of the neck could even be foam, this type of construction is very strong and stiff.

For those interested in innovative ideas you should check these out...

Smile frets, 4ever neck, asymetric neck, "lift-top" estreme carve central area on a thin body, multiple compound radius fretboards...Kritz Guitars

For all those quirks, surprisingly they can still turn out some handsome guitars...

sj202c03.jpg

pete