Staining And Binding

I'm going to dye the mohogony body of my Tele project and bind it. I'm not sure of the correct sequence. I'm thinking I should bind it first, scrape and then dye. My thinking is that if I dye it first, the glue run-out and scraping will just botch up the dyed part.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Marty

I'd bind then stain. If you get stain on the binding, you can carefully scrape it off. If you're a proactive person, seal the binding before staining to save yourself the trouble of scraping. Be weary of using a CA based binding glue, the ca could seap into the wood and hinder its ability to accept dye. If you're using wooden binding, I'd highly recomend just going the titebond route.

peace,

russ

EDIT: On second thought, maybe it'd be best to stain then bind if you're using plastic binding and have to use CA glue? I haven't used plastic binding and a stained top in the same build, so I can't comment on this.

Russ,

Thanks for the help. What would you use to seal the binding?

I'm not going to use CA, I've got the stuff Stew Mac sells. It just seems ti me that it might be easier to get the dye off the binding then get gluue off the dyed mahogony. Oh well, I'll let you know.

Marty

I use behlen vinyl sealer(from stewmac). The binding glue that stewmac sells is CA based, I believe. You know, you might be able to get away with using CA glue and putting on the binding before dying the top if you seal the binding channel with a few coats of vinyl sealer before applying the binding. I'm sorry I'm not more help here, I only have 1 guitar's worth of experience in the plastic binding category. It seems like you should have any problems though if you seal the binding channel, glue in the binding, then scrape flush and dye.

You are using plastic binding, correct?

peace,

russ

Didn't people used to use Duco cement? The mfr says it's nitro based so it should be finish compatible. This says it holds up to beer and corn oil, so it's bar safe. :D

marksound, Im using this stuff Stew Mac Glue

I bought it at a glass store that sells plexiglass - $7 for a 5 oz. tube. I'll have to check to see if it will stand up to rum. :D

Marty