Alder Mim Srat Body

Google "mim strat body wood." Then Google "fender mexico shop tour." If that doesn't cover all your questions ... :D

?????????????????????????????? how was that helpful no offense?

Adam

I gave you at least 2 pages of related links to look through that would answer your questions about MIM Strat construction. I fact, before I replied to your first post I read 2 pages from those searches and I now know more than I did when I started.

So ... :D

how does popular compare to alder. i know popular is cheap wood. j paid 139 for the body did i get ripped off?

Adam

I have read that poplar has tonal qualities similar to alder. There's nothing wrong with it, I'm using it for my Tele project and PRS uses it also for some of their guitars.

how does popular compare to alder. i know popular is cheap wood. j paid 139 for the body did i get ripped off?

Adam

I have read that poplar has tonal qualities similar to alder. There's nothing wrong with it, I'm using it for my Tele project and PRS uses it also for some of their guitars.

thanks popular is greenish i read while alder is tanish. the wood is very pale almost matches the finish. i hope its alder

Adam

Alder & poplar sound pretty similar, and they both work pretty easily.

FWIW, you can get an entire MIM Strat on eBay for just over $200 if you're patient. Then by the time you sell the parts and the neck, you will have gotten the body for under $100. But white ones do tend to sell for a little more....

• 1 year later...

Nothing wrong with Poplar, I've had 2 Strat bodies made of it, both were lightweight and resonant. One was a true Fender American Strat body made when their Alder supply was low. It had killer tone and was super light. I definitely could nail all the cliche'd "Strat" sounds with it.

You can definitely do better than a MIM body, just shop on ebay. There's tons of sellers with 2-pc Alder or Ash Strat bodies in the $100-150 range, some of them finished or offering custom routing. I just picked up an unfinished Strat one for $100 + shipping, 2-pc Alder with direct-mounted humbuckers, rear-routing, and a hard-tail. You won't find a Mexican (or American) Fender with those options (and certainly not at such a bargain).