Inlaying Existing Fretboard (newbie)

odlaw

Yeah, I do this all the time. It sort of an issue though. The old dots can be pluged, but they do show up close. If your board is ebony and you align the grain, the plug will be pretty much undetectable. Rosewood will show and maple don't even try. Basically, the darker the wood the better.

The best way is to make the new inlay design cover the holes where the dots use to be. That is what I did on this inlay.

inlay1.jpg

Yeah, I do this all the time. It sort of an issue though. The old dots can be pluged, but they do show up close. If your board is ebony and you align the grain, the plug will be pretty much undetectable. Rosewood will show and maple don't even try. Basically, the darker the wood the better.

The best way is to make the new inlay design cover the holes where the dots use to be. That is what I did on this inlay.

inlay1.jpg

man that is absolutely outstanding...

Awesome work. Thanks to both of you above. Really inspiring stuff. I am not afraid to do the inlay work it is the removal and installation of the frets thats holding me back. It is hard to justify removing frets on a guitar that is fine but I want a one of a kind. I guess I should start practicing.

Thanks Guys