Custom Guitar Issue

sparkycase

Please don't take this as a personal insult, because it's not, but basically you've told us nothing useful. Which effects pedal, how is your guitar wired, what precise problems are you having using the two together (no sound, horribly distorted output, sparks and flames)? In order for us to be any help at all, you're going to have to define the problem a bit less generally. Obviously there's something wrong, and I'd like to help you correct it, but I have no idea where to even start.

Ok. I've wired it according to a seymour duncan schematic which consists of 1 humbucker, 2 single coils, 1 volume, 2 tones and 1 5-way switch. If the guitar is directly plugged into an amp, it works fine. If i add a distortion pedal i get no sound with the pedal on or off. I have a fender quire which works fine with or without the pedal so it is definatly something with the guitar and its wiring. Here is a link to the image

Seymour Duncan. If you need more info, please let me know.

It'd be great if we knew what kind of distortion pedal he's using. The only thing I can think of is the outside chance that the pedal is using some kind of obscure design that depends on correct polarity on the guitar input.

I honestly can't think of a reason why someone would do that, other than maybe battery rundown protection, but even then it'd be a kludge. Or it could be a particular polarity-dependant component that they're using to create the effect.

What brand of distortion pedal are you using? None of this makes sense at all. This could be a troll, too.

Since it's all the information that we have, I will say that there are no issues with the SD wiring diagram, so either you don't have it wired that way, or you have another problem. Perhaps comparing the factory wiring on your Squire to your custom will reveal the breakdown -you certainly haven't given us much to work with!