Filler?

okay, ive asked this question a bunch of times and never really gotten a straight up answer so here it goes...

im refinishing an ibanez rg and it has some decent half dollar sized chips in it...theyre not extensively deep, but i can definately see wood. theres also little cracks everywhere as well...would it be wise to use your standard wood filler to fix these up when i refinish, or is that a bad idea?

i totally agree with thegarehanman. most standard wood fillers/wood putty have a tendency to be brittle and to shrink. epoxy is a great alternative and i've have good luck fixing dings that aren't too deep with bondo brand auto body filler. it's available in small squeeze tubes and has a pretty good shelf life.

I'm working with Evercoat, right now, on an 80s Chandler body, and it has been great. It's a poly filler, like Bondo, but it is a galzing filler, and it sands down rather easily. If you go the Bondo route, which I recommend, don't cheap out, get the good stuff, like 3M. The cheap stuff shrinks. Check out this link, and you should be convinced:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/showfl...0&page=3#636347

If he can fill in an entire neck pickup hole with it, you can fill some big chips.

Edited by Racer X

it's available in small squeeze tubes and has a pretty good shelf life.

This is exactly the one that you DON'T want to use. Do yourself a favor and use the 2 part one. The one in the squeeze tube is glazing putty, and is used to fill small bubble (or pin holes) that are left in bondo when you mix it too hard. Other than that, a chip repair could crack very easily. If it was to repair hairline cracks it would be great, but nothing bigger than that.

Use Bondo, it's perfect for that.

+1

Bondo is gaurenteed never to shrinkback/crack. I've used it numerous times with no ill effects (yet!!). Like mentioned, make sure you get the 2 part stuff you can mix yourself. Epoxy also works fine, and many swear by it for paste filling (grain filling, whatever floats your boat).

Oh, and yes you can get Bondo AND the 2 part epoxy from home depot.

Edited by AlGeeEater

+1

Bondo is gaurenteed never to shrinkback/crack. I've used it numerous times with no ill effects (yet!!). Like mentioned, make sure you get the 2 part stuff you can mix yourself. Epoxy also works fine, and many swear by it for paste filling (grain filling, whatever floats your boat).

Saying Bondo these days, is like saying Kleenex. You MUST specify. Don't get regular brandname Bondo. Get a better brandname. Perfect example is 3M. You chinze on the filler, and it WILL shrink, over time. 3M won't do that to you. You get what you pay for, with this.

+1

Saying Bondo these days, is like saying Kleenex. You MUST specify. Don't get regular brandname Bondo. Get a better brandname. Perfect example is 3M. You chinze on the filler, and it WILL shrink, over time. 3M won't do that to you. You get what you pay for, with this.

I've had fine results with Bondo brand UV Body Filler. I think it's in a quart, but I guess a "brand name" makes a product better.

I have only used Bondo brand name, and till this date 2 yrs after filling the switch cavity on my Epi and a few hum routes, no show of shrinkage. If you use the one in the squeeze tube you will get a lot of shrinkage.