Coil Tapping Humbuckers With Rotary Pot

TEZ

I am looking to use a rotary pot to coil tap humbucking pickups so that when turned one way you have both coils in series and turned the other way you have one coil tapped. Like a sort of "thin/ fat " control.

Can this be done with a standard liner pot by grounding the series link through the pot, or is any thing else needed in the circuit? And can both pickups be tapped this way but connected to one common pot?

Can this be done with a standard line(a)r pot by grounding the series link through the pot...?

Yes, it's that simple.

...can both pickups be tapped this way but connected to one common pot?

No - you'll need a separate pot for each pickup.

Thanks lovekraft, I suspected so.

Jack Briggs does this with one pot on his Classic model, I guess it must be done with a stacked pot of some sort.

What value pot would you recomend for this coil tap mod?

I was about to say, if you could find a dual-ganged pot, wiring up both pickups on a single knob would be a cinch. Have you considered concentric pots so you can adjust the pickups separately, or is your ultimate goal just to have one overarching "thin/fat" control?

It's a neat and creative idea, either way-- props. :D

Yes Skibum I was looking for one master "thin/fat" control.

The only dual-gang pots I can find in the UK are to large to fit into a guitar contrl cavity. I have thought about using a blend/fader pot by wiring one set of contacts in revers to the other set but you would only get a usable adjustment on half the pots travel.

I have just wired the dual humbuckers of my latest creation "lespaulprssinglecutalike" to two seperate pots as sugested above and I am pleased with the results. The mid position of the pots sounds very P90'ish and with 2 controls you get a very nice slection of usable sounds. But in a live situation I think that one pot would be easier to control.