Using Neodymium (ndfeb) Magnets In Pickups

Sorry for kinda reviving an old thread, but Im interested in installing NdFeB pickups into 2 old stock BC Rich Pups.

We all know BC Rich pups are ****, so I thought, hey, maybe if I replaced the fridge magnet used inside the pickups, it could give a better sound.

Ive used NdFeB magnets before, in brushless motors, and I know how damn strong these magnets are.

Im probably gonna buy a guitar for about $50 off ebay so I can repaint/re-pickup/re-hardware etc... just have some fun and try to make a good guitar out of it.

So I was thinking, maybe I should just install a better magnet into the BCR pickups...Would it make the pickups more aggressive and all? And if I did install NdFeB magnets as the pole pieces... would it be unbelievably aggresive? Or unbelievably ****?

Im not touvhing the coil though... That ****'s as thin as hair... So would the magnet be compatible with the BCR coils?

And last question... where would I buy the magnets from?

The size of the BCR magnets are 58x12x3 (mm) and obviously thats not a common size. I was thinking buy small blocks and just arrange them in a grid to get the size?? Yay or Nay??

Would this be bad... raise resistance or something??

Any of you guys gotten around to actually following through with plans yet??????

Cheers,

John :D

Edited by 7stringtechdeath

I've been continuing planning stuff using these magnets. I'm planning to use small 3mm x3mm x3mm cubes and using one per pole piece attaching them to the side as per how a normal humbucker would be. If this produces a stronger magnetic field than the original bar magnet (which it should) then yes the pickup will have a greater output.

using a 58x12x3 bar magnet of this kind of magent would be very very bad...you'd probably end up with your strings being bent towards and maybe even touching your pickups...very bad indeed!

These small size magnets are quite easy to get hold of, I'm getting mine from a UK ebay seller.

Robert

This is a screen capture from my FEMM simulation:

pickup1zi.png

Its kinda a side on cross section through both poles of the humbucker. The two small cubes are the magnets they're between the poles where the bar magnet would have been. You've got to be careful to make sure all the poles on one side of the humbucker have one polarity and all the ones on the other have the other magetic pole attached.

You could try using a non-magnetic shim to move the magnet away from the iron a bit. Easy enough to check on FEMM to see hwat the effect would be.

That could work but you'd need some sort of bar of Iron os steel lalong the pole pieces as well....but I don't think they will be to powerful. At least not at the small size I've suggested. From all the simulations I've done they appear to be just right. :D guess we'll find out when I get my magnets and try it out!

Robert

Didn't know D did that. OK, right, I will say no more, get studying! Mike

That's a good idea Mike :D sounds like something a pickup maker begining with D is doing!

Hopefull I'll be able to do some winding and making soon but I've got a whole load of exams so I really should be revising and not messin' arround with magnets!

Robert