A Few Painting Questions.

icetrey

I have a few different questions and didn't want to take up the whole forum.

1. Can I use the Behlen Nitrocellulose Stringed Instrument Lacquer that Stewmac sells as a clear coat on a guitar that's been painted with Krylon paint or do I need to use Krylon clear also?

2. I'm painting my Tom Delonge Fender pink with a black nautical star, in the video that I bought from Stewmac he didn't paint one color over another. But would it be ok using the Behlen Nitrocellulose Stringed Instrument Laquer with the color pigments and paint the whole guitar pink then tape off everything but the nautical star and paint it black right on top of the pink and then clear? And if I do that will there be a lil bump on the nautical star since it's 2 layers of paint or will the clear cover that?

3. Also on the video he uses the vinyl sealer on bare wood. If I use that do I need to sand down to the bare wood or can I do that over the sanding sealer that's already there? I already asked a question similar to this but now that I have a certain brand of paint I'm using I figure now it can be a yes or no question.

I really appreciate anybody that can help me answer any of these few questions. Thanx a lot.

1. wouldn't suggest it.

2. will not work over urethane or enamel or whaterver fender is using now.

3. the sealer is to lock in stain or to protect the natural wood color.

Someone brought me a 78 fender p-bass that had a gummed up finish that took on the felt from the case and looked like a hairy gorrilla. They used laquer over urethane or whatever fender used in the late 70's and the laquer never cured. It was a horrible sight but it was salvaged into new again.

Do some research and find out what kind of paint is on your guitar first to save some heartache later.

The Behlen String Instrument Lacquer is desgined for Acoustic guitars and I am not sure why StewMac recomends it for a solid body. Use the QUALALACQ gloss lacquer. Its much higher in solids and cures out harder than the other.

1) Do some test pieces to make sure the solvent in the lacquer does not degrade your Krylon paint.

Nitro is Nitro, guitars are guitars, and what's good on an acoustic, generally, is good on an electric; nice, thin, even protective coating. Matters tonally for an acoustic, not s'much for an electric. The instrument grade stuff is a little more flexible than non-instrument specific nitro, which is essentially for acoustics (which have thin wood plates that move quite a lot with temp and humidity swings), and nice to have on an electric. It's also tried and tested stuff on both types of instruments; you don't necessarily want bulletproof finishes.

All that being said, I just wish I could spray catalyzed Polyester safely.

2. will not work over urethane or enamel or whaterver fender is using now.

Someone brought me a 78 fender p-bass that had a gummed up finish that took on the felt from the case and looked like a hairy gorrilla. They used laquer over urethane or whatever fender used in the late 70's and the laquer never cured. It was a horrible sight but it was salvaged into new again.

Do some research and find out what kind of paint is on your guitar first to save some heartache later.

I tried to make it pretty clear the first time if I didn't sry about that but I'm not painting over the paint that's already on the Fender. I'm sanding it down and painting it again. First with pink then with black. Both will be the same type of paint just with different color pigments. Is it ok, to paint one on top of the other if there both the same type of paint?

Lacquer can be really funky stuff at the best of times. Just make sure the underlying coats are fully cured before proceeding with a different color and / or paint. Actually, that pretty much goes with ANY type of paint or finish. Painting over uncured lacquer is asking for color bleed thrus etc. Its volatile stuff. That means the solvent base has a high rate of evaporation and it literally melts and fuses with the undercoat(s).

Anyway, the only sure way of working out your finishing scheme is test out what you want to do on sample blocks of wood. NEVER take someone's word for it because conditions, expertise etc. may vary.

Edited by Southpa