Laminating Arch Top?

Hi,

building my first arch top, here's my idea of how to make the top and back sections.

I want to laminate 4 layers of veneer, each 0.6 mm together. I steam one sheet, vacuum mold it over a (plaster) mold. Once the first layer is dry, I aply glue to it, and vacuum-mold the second steamed sheet over the first. The final layer will of course be a nice birds-eye maple...

The result should be a 2.5 mm molded top (or back) thin but stif because of the layers and glue.

Is this the way to go? Any tips? Is it thick / strong enough? What bracing should I glue on? I see many archtops with hardly any bracing, which suprizes me greatly...

Cheers,

Hugo

Hi,

building my first arch top, here's my idea of how to make the top and back sections.

I want to laminate 4 layers of veneer, each 0.6 mm together. I steam one sheet, vacuum mold it over a (plaster) mold. Once the first layer is dry, I aply glue to it, and vacuum-mold the second steamed sheet over the first. The final layer will of course be a nice birds-eye maple...

The result should be a 2.5 mm molded top (or back) thin but stif because of the layers and glue.

Is this the way to go? Any tips? Is it thick / strong enough? What bracing should I glue on? I see many archtops with hardly any bracing, which suprizes me greatly...

Cheers,

Hugo

I sugest that you look at the archived discussions at the MIMF website. There is a lot of discussion on how to make laminated tops, back and sides for archtops.