What Is Zero Fret

a zero fret is a fret set into the fretboard just below the nut. it replaces the nut as the beginning of the guitars scale length. the nut slots are cut low enough so that the strings rest under pressure on the zero fret. i've heard that it's better for intonation but wouldn't swear that that's it's main purpose.

Yes, they slot with a zero fret. Then you can either use it for fretwire and what we commonly call "a zero fret", or have a precise spot to cut off the excess for a traditional nut, or to mount a Fender-style nut.

Greg

So do the slotted fender fretboards that Stew Mac sell have zero fret then from what your telling me yes?

:D

I didn't think Stewmac's boards were slotted for a zero fret--they're slotted for a nut, which are wider (I think, Im judging from the photograph). I suppose you could fill that and recut it for a zero fret, and add the nut at the end. The nut then serves merely as a string guide. You'd have to adapt your headstock design accordingly.

I bought my fingerboards are LMI instead, because all of their boards are cut for zero fret, including the 24.75" boards.

You can get the idea of what a zero fret is like by placing a capo behind the first fret, which then becomes the zero fret. Part of the reason why capo'd guitars sound so good, and are easier to play, is because of the zero fret effect --pretty rare to find a nut cut that low. And the zero fret is usually the same material as the other frets, so there's no change in the sound of the guitar between open and non-open strings.

Zero frets just make more sense, once you start thinking about them.

And I've just recut the slots on the nut of my guitar to be more in line with what a zero fret would give me (I didn't go that low though) and the guitar has become significantly more playable.

Whew, thanks for being quick to respond, Mickguard--

I ordered so much stuff from Stew-Mac that I just quickly responded that it was Zero-fret. As it turns out, my fretboards were ordered from LMI, also, and not Stew-Mac after all. I agree with Mick that they don't look to be zero-fret slotted. They look either pre-made Fender, or cut right at the nut for Gibson/PRS-style fingerboards. I could be wrong, but they don't seem to be zero fret.

Greg

LMI's "Same day serviced" fretboards are not made for a zero-fret. (actually, the one labelled as "Fender scale" or something may be, the rest of them the board ends at the nut position). If you order a board from LMI and have them slot it to your specs, it will have a fret slot at the zero fret position.

I looked at Stew Mac afterwards and realized the slot is for a nut lol, I think thats why i'm going to use on my next build i'm going to build my own neck. My first which i'm still working on I got from soulmate guitars Doug.