80's Malmsteen Custom Stratocaster Wire Scheme

M4tr1xx

Alright, so basically i have the parts to finish my wiring which means i have my 5 way selecter, 2x tbx tones, master, 2x hs-3 pickups, and just a shitty middle pickup for looks. I have searched long and hard to find a wire schematic of his authentic playloud which includes these parts. All of the wire schematics ive seen included him having a middle pickup activated, but his is disconected when he plays. Aswell people have moved to noload tone knobs, but i want to keep the tbx. I was wondering if anyone has insight on how i should approach this project, i want to get it as close to authentic as possible.

Thanks

80s Yngwie - isn't that just a YJM in the neck and a HS3 in the bridge, each with a tone control, and a master volume? Wire the pickups like a normal Strat (leaving out the middle pickup, obviously), and connect one TBX to each pickup. If you've got a diagram that includes the middle pickup, just don't connect it.

Edited by lovekraft

sorry, i dont know much about wiring, this is my first project where i have to wire it up. And no, the yngwie had teh hs-3 in bridge and neck, the yjm wasnt created till later on in his career.

Yngwie Guitar

Click that, it shows you his setup, im assuming this is from a magazine in the 80's.

is there anything i should read to understand the way they wire pickups?

• 1 month later...

So a 5 way selector with only 2 different sounds ?

The originals simply had the middle pickup disconnected from the 5-way, but I agree with your point - that's a long way to go to get two sounds.

Yngwies Red(PLAY LOUD) strat uses a 3-way switch. And he has since changed to 5-way HS3|Yjm|Yjm which is an HS3 with a vintage pole piece stagger.

the American Standard Yngwie model uses a 5 way switch with the middle pick-up reverse wired.

It's impossible to guess what these guys use from one minute to the next as they change there mind more often than there underwear.

...the American Standard Yngwie model uses a 5 way switch with the middle pick-up reverse wired.

Surely nobody around here actually believes that any artist really uses their signature American Standard model unmodified, do they? :D Well, maybe Tom DeLonge... :D

...the American Standard Yngwie model uses a 5 way switch with the middle pick-up reverse wired.

Surely nobody around here actually believes that any artist really uses their signature American Standard model unmodified, do they? :D Well, maybe Tom DeLonge... :D

B)

I second that!!!

:D

I wasn't saying he plays it un modified, infact what I was saying is it impossible to tell what they are doing with there guitar from one day to the next as they change more often than you could roll yours eyes at. And I owned a 92 Malmsteen and the bridge is HS3 the middle is an American standard reverse wired and the neck is Hs3 with a 5-way switch. Who cares about Tom Delonge?

Who cares about Tom Delonge?

silly people

Don't forget his mom!!! :D

BTW, LuredMaul, that wasn't a shot at you - I was just making the point that Yngwie's sig model probably doesn't represent any configuration he's ever used himself. Frankly, his tone really isn't that distinctive, IMHO, and owes more to his plexi + OD250 signal chain, guitar technique and crushing volume than any subtle differences from his pickups. But that's just me - as always, YMMV! :D