Your Type Of Rock

Your type of rock  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the above!

Progressive Rock !!!

Stuff like Dream Theater and Opeth and such... (as long as there's no screaming lolll)

no screaming in Opeth?!?

I listen to alot of 90's stuff. But mainly anything with a nice guitar really. From old 50's surf to new stuff.

Toadies are my favorite, but they dont really fall into one of these category's.

IMO, Tool should never be considered "mainstream." Maybe this is a bit of elitism emerging in me, but if you were to actually look into Tool songs and their meanings, etc, you would see how they are much deeper than "mainstream" music.

As far as my favorite genres: metal, classic rock, jazz, fusion, classical, etc.

Some of my favorite bands: Metallica, Led Zep, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Meshuggah, Opeth, Primus, Deftones, Finger Eleven,

Isis, Jamiroquai, The Mars Volta, NIN, Rammstein, Rage Against the Machine, Rob Zombie, Rush, and Tenacious D.

no screaming in Opeth?!?

At least Opeth isn't constant screaming, and the singer has one hell of a set of pipes!

sub-categories of metal are my pet peeve...thrash,death,hardcore,and glam pretty much describe everything out there that is really metal..

:D ok then mr smarty pants which of your 4 metal genres do bands like Korpiklanni go into? They have metal guitar AND traditional nordic folk instruments B)

Sub-Sub genre's are a little pointless but some bands just don't fit the 'old' genres. Personally I'd split metal down to: Thrash, Death, Black, Doom, Hardcore, Glam/Hair, American Industrial (like the newer Fear Factory type of sound), European Industrial (Rammstein type sound), Folk Metal (Korpiklanni and the likes), Battle metal (Turisas and that sort of thing), Power Metal (Nightwish, Within Temptation ect.), Prog Metal (Opeth), Cheese metal (Dragonforce :D ).......

:D oh and I know I've missed someone out

oh and has anyone else heard of Goth Rock or is it just me? Where do Fields of the Nephilim fans put their vote?

B)

Edited by Robert_the_damned

sub-categories of metal are my pet peeve...thrash,death,hardcore,and glam pretty much describe everything out there that is really metal..

:D ok then mr smarty pants which of your 4 metal genres do bands like Korpiklanni go into? They have metal guitar AND traditional nordic folk instruments B)

Sub-Sub genre's are a little pointless but some bands just don't fit the 'old' genres. Personally I'd split metal down to: Thrash, Death, Black, Doom, Hardcore, Glam/Hair, American Industrial (like the newer Fear Factory type of sound), European Industrial (Rammstein type sound), Folk Metal (Korpiklanni and the likes), Battle metal (Turisas and that sort of thing), Power Metal (Nightwish, Within Temptation ect.), Prog Metal (Opeth), Cheese metal (Dragonforce :D ).......

:D oh and I know I've missed someone out

oh and has anyone else heard of Goth Rock or is it just me? Where do Fields of the Nephilim fans put their vote?

B)

dude, listen to folkearth

Sub-Sub genre's are a little pointless but some bands just don't fit the 'old' genres. Personally I'd split metal down to: Thrash, Death, Black, Doom, Hardcore, Glam/Hair, American Industrial (like the newer Fear Factory type of sound), European Industrial (Rammstein type sound), Folk Metal (Korpiklanni and the likes), Battle metal (Turisas and that sort of thing), Power Metal (Nightwish, Within Temptation ect.), Prog Metal (Opeth), Cheese metal (Dragonforce ).......

fear factory is thrash/death...rammstein is thrash(simplistic though it is),nightwish is the same old school heavy metal iron maiden was doing years ago...opeth is sometimes death,sometimes rock,sometimes acoustic...just because a band puts several styles in their repoirtiure(sp?) does not mean you need to reclassify them.just classify each song if you must.

those sub genres are for nerds....metalheads just want to listen to metal.i have my car full of everything from sadus to slayer to bloodbath,meshuggah,lamb of god,deicide,exodus,opeth,kreator,soulfly,sepultua,six feet under,the haunted,nuclear assault,skrew,testament,byzantine,suicidal tendances,ministry ,white zombie,prong,megadth...it'sall justmetal.

discussing subgenres is like debating picard vs capt. kirk....it's for da noids

dude, listen to folkearth

I have :D they're good. 'By the sword of my Father' is probably my favorite track from them that I've heard (not heard that much to be honnest)

Sub-Sub genre's are a little pointless but some bands just don't fit the 'old' genres. Personally I'd split metal down to: Thrash, Death, Black, Doom, Hardcore, Glam/Hair, American Industrial (like the newer Fear Factory type of sound), European Industrial (Rammstein type sound), Folk Metal (Korpiklanni and the likes), Battle metal (Turisas and that sort of thing), Power Metal (Nightwish, Within Temptation ect.), Prog Metal (Opeth), Cheese metal (Dragonforce ).......

fear factory is thrash/death...rammstein is thrash(simplistic though it is),nightwish is the same old school heavy metal iron maiden was doing years ago...opeth is sometimes death,sometimes rock,sometimes acoustic...just because a band puts several styles in their repoirtiure(sp?) does not mean you need to reclassify them.just classify each song if you must.

those sub genres are for nerds....metalheads just want to listen to metal.i have my car full of everything from sadus to slayer to bloodbath,meshuggah,lamb of god,deicide,exodus,opeth,kreator,soulfly,sepultua,six feet under,the haunted,nuclear assault,skrew,testament,byzantine,suicidal tendances,ministry ,white zombie,prong,megadth...it'sall justmetal.

discussing subgenres is like debating picard vs capt. kirk....it's for da noids

Captain Kirk so wins :D I mean not just because he kicks arse but like he made out with so many more chicks in the original series than Picard ever has :D I mean Picards made out with like 3 women ever onscreen that's pathetic.

B)

but anyway sub-genres do one very useful thing: allow you to find bands that sound similar to bands you like easily. If everything was in broad catagories then it'd be a lot harder to find something similar to what you already like.

but picard is the founder of the x-men...he wins.

if a sub-genre only has one member(opeth) then it is not really a sub-genre now is it.

besides...since no two people have the same definition of what bands are in each sub-genre..i think you are still out of luck in finding other "similar" bands...and who has tastes that narrow anyway.

take up bug collecting...then you can satisfy your urge to classify on something that at least serves a small purpose :D

...if a cd cover says "screamo's answer to the artist formerly known as prince" then whatdoes that really tell you anyway?

but picard is the founder of the x-men...he wins.

ok but I'm sure we can agree that Spock is better than Data right??

if a sub-genre only has one member(opeth) then it is not really a sub-genre now is it.

*personally* I think there are lots of bands that fit the progressive metal sub-genre such as Dream Theatre, Blind Guardian, Mountain Mirrors, Skith, Nevermore, Winterfell (although I s'pose they're quite folky too). The fact most of them are massively influenced by Opeth is neither here nor there really.

besides...since no two people have the same definition of what bands are in each sub-genre..i think you are still out of luck in finding other "similar" bands...and who has tastes that narrow anyway.

no but if you find one band and they'll only have a limited amount of material and sometimes its nice to find something that's similar to what you already like.

...if a cd cover says "screamo's answer to the artist formerly known as prince" then whatdoes that really tell you anyway?

:D well if I saw that on a CD it'd probably tell me to put it down and not buy it. However if I saw something like 'reviewed as the best Thrash metal album of 2007 by some guy' when its a CD by a band I've never heard of its going to draw my interest to that CD.

ok but I'm sure we can agree that Spock is better than Data right??
agreed...data sucks

*personally* I think there are lots of bands that fit the progressive metal sub-genre such as Dream Theatre, Blind Guardian, Mountain Mirrors, Skith, Nevermore, Winterfell (although I s'pose they're quite folky too). The fact most of them are massively influenced by Opeth is neither here nor there really.

sorry,but "progressive" metal is just as generic a term as "alternative" rock...it is just a catch-all meant to absorb what otherwise can't be pigeonholed

dream theatre was way before opeth

if I saw something like 'reviewed as the best Thrash metal album of 2007 by some guy' when its a CD by a band I've never heard of its going to draw my interest to that CD

lamb of god's new album....by far.

but unfortunately those quotes on those covers are often pulled from the kindest review...everyone else may agree it sucks except for the guy quoted.

Progressive isn't a generic term at all - it's a label for technical playing, odd time signatures, and frequent tempo changes. Nothing generic about that at all.

Dream Theater and Opeth got a good start in the music scene around the same time, I wouldn't imagine either being influncial to each other at the start of their work.

Progressive isn't a generic term at all - it's a label for technical playing, odd time signatures, and frequent tempo changes. Nothing generic about that at all.

Dream Theater and Opeth got a good start in the music scene around the same time, I wouldn't imagine either being influncial to each other at the start of their work.

Why can't progress be made in any other way than making music harder to play?...Shouldn't progressive music be about makin better music? As far as I'm concerned, just because you're the only one who can play a certain piece doesn't mean that that music is the best you can play. If you define progressive music as odd time signatures and technical playing etc, I think that that's just gonna be an obstruction for making truly progressive music.

Why set up guidelines along wich one should progress?...seems contradictary to me.

rammstein is thrash(simplistic though it is)

Hmm... Rammstein is nowhere near thrash. Nowhere near it. I label them as Industrial Metal... Metal for the obvious reason, and industrial for their EXTENSIVE use of keyboard/synthesizers/etc. They just don't have an ounce of a thrash sound to my ears.

Why can't progress be made in any other way than making music harder to play?...Shouldn't progressive music be about makin better music?

Progressive is a simplistic label - as I understand it, it's not saying the music has "evolved" or "progressed" into a state that is superior to other music or genres. It's a label that explains what the genre is based on / about. "Better" is an opinion word, some people believe progressive music to be sh*t. Some believe it is superior. Regardless of what you, or anyone else thinks, it's all opinion. If you love it, great. If you don't love it, great.

As far as I'm concerned, just because you're the only one who can play a certain piece doesn't mean that that music is the best you can play. If you define progressive music as odd time signatures and technical playing etc, I think that that's just gonna be an obstruction for making truly progressive music.

Why set up guidelines along wich one should progress?...seems contradictary to me.

I'm not here to debate whether genres should be this or that. I'm just pointing out what the majority refer to progressive and/or other genres as.

Hmm... Rammstein is nowhere near thrash. Nowhere near it. I label them as Industrial Metal... Metal for the obvious reason, and industrial for their EXTENSIVE use of keyboard/synthesizers/etc. They just don't have an ounce of a thrash sound to my ears.
label it whatever you wish.just be aware that nobody will agree with you,and that everyone has a different opinion of what belongs under these useless labels.and that is exactly my point.nerds have no place defining metal into a million different sub-genres

and thrash is very,very broad.just look at slayer and exodus.completely different,yet both thrash.

i will make my view clear....here is my motto "shut up and listen to the music"

or if you prefer "take your sub-genres and flush them down the toilet with the rest of the (beep)"

hehe

Progressive isn't a generic term at all - it's a label for technical playing, odd time signatures, and frequent tempo changes.

by that definitoin,jazz is progressive metal

Progressive isn't a generic term at all - it's a label for technical playing, odd time signatures, and frequent tempo changes.

by that definitoin,jazz is progressive metal

Hence I wrote "progressive". Not "progressive metal". And by definition, much of jazz can be considered progressive, and much of it is these days.

label it whatever you wish.just be aware that nobody will agree with you,and that everyone has a different opinion of what belongs under these useless labels.and that is exactly my point.nerds have no place defining metal into a million different sub-genres

:D I'd agree with him. Rammstein don't play nearly fast enough to be thrash....and most of their songs are SO basic (either the same riff all the way through with some slight variations or just very very simple) they really arn't technical enough to be thrash.

and thrash is very,very broad.just look at slayer and exodus.completely different,yet both thrash.
this is true however

i will make my view clear....here is my motto "shut up and listen to the music"

I also agree with this

or if you prefer "take your sub-genres and flush them down the toilet with the rest of the (beep)"

I don't particularly like sub-genres I just can see an advantage of having them. :D plus I like arguing the toss discussing alternate veiwpoints.