Coil Tapping Both Sides Of A Humbucker Pickup

1Way

JoeAArthur

Thanks much.

Full volume

I meant "include access up to full volume", not "always play at full volume".

You said

Now let's go back to your idea of separate volume controls for each coil. Since you were going to split the coils, it must have been a series connection. What values were you going to use? 500K's for each coil? If so, you would wire this dual coil rotary splitter with a 1 meg linear and you wouldn't notice any volume loss between the different wirings.

Think about it. The wiring of your volume controls for each coil would be the same electrical combination as this control set to the mid electrical position!!

(Edited for clarification)

I basically dropped the idea of one volume control for each "coil" since I found out about doing dual coil tapping on one pot, except that may cause volume level issues. I want

1-volume

1-tone

1-variable coil tap

control for each pickup. That is six total pots/knobs, and not a volume control for each coil. I gladly accept a two way pot for coil splitting "if" it can be implemented without automatically halving or doubling the electronic output of either the "coil tap" or "humbucker" mode. If anything I want more beneficial options/control, not less.

I wonder if I still need 2-1meg pots to take care of coil tapping both pickups, or if somehow I can make it work with 500k pots. I'd rather not go out and buy more parts if I don't really need to... I should have most of my parts in a week or so. I realize that some experimentation may apply. But it's better having a good idea about what your doing "before" modifying things.

Edited by 1Way

• 1 month later...

JoeAArthur (everyone)

I'm struggling to figure out which way to go for the control layout.

I'm going with just 2 humbuckers

I want separate dedicated vol and tone controls for each pup

I want variable coil tapping for each coil

I want 3way switches, no 5+ways

I have a total of 4 stacked concentric 500k pots (=8pot&knob sets) and a total of 3 3way switches, and I might relocate my 1/4" jack from the face to the side to allow for more controls.

Imagine a guitar with one pickup and two holes for the tone and volume spots, and I want to do variable coil tapping on each coil. How about hook up both coils with their own volume controls (two knobs) in the same spot, then to adjust the volume on that humbucker, move the pair together (if they move together easily enough).

• 17 years later...