Algee's Carved Top Lp

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's been a while since i've done any real work on this. Unfortunatly, the maple top warped a bit (cupped in the middle basically, nature of the beast) so i've been trying to get it flat on the bottom. Before I attacked it with the plane, I tried a few things like wetting the other part of the cup and letting it sit a few days, wetting the top and clamping it to a 1" plywood board all with no real luck. So in the last week or so i've slowly started hand planing and sanding the back of it to atleast be able to get it glued onto the top (or ready to, gotta carve it still of course). After I get the bottom flat it's off to the planer to flatten the top of the top.

Anyways, tomr. I plan to drill and route out the control cavity. I'm ordering a new neck blank for this project, i'm not wasting my time planing that neck flat. Pictures and such tomr!

Peace,

Chris

Meh, just took the picture. Held off on routing the mortise, still unsure of just how deep I want to route it now. Didn't get time to drill out for the output jack either.

DSC02187.jpg

Plans for tomr:

Toggle Switch area

Wire routes

Output jack

Hopefully begin carving the top :D

See ya,

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

Got a bit done today in a few hours of work.

DSC02189.jpg

Just gotta get back into the shop (i love food :D ) and clean up the chambers and also fix the wire route to the switch cavity. Might have the top on in the next few days. Still needs some flattening though before I glue it on. I also need to find a bucket with water for some weight to clamp it down with. I wish I had bigger C-clamps but it's fine.

Chambers

Swith cavity(Still need to fix the route to it)

Better pic of the control cavity

Peace guys,

Chris

... and here are the chambers all cleaned up. Not bad for some practice free-hand routing eh? Still need some sanding though!

DSC02196.jpg

That's all for today. Tomr. I plan to route the neck pocket, mortise, whatever, and run the body/top through a thicknesser (hopefully). Ordered the new neck blank so I should get that soon and begin working on it.

See ya,

Chris

Freehand? :D looks pretty damn neat for freehand routing.

You should see my freehand chambers :D They were hideous.

Thankfully nobody ever will see them again, they're safely hidden inside the guitar.

Your projects looking great so far!

Scott, I did everything based off the templates I got. I think it shifted over a little bit towards the treble side with my fence, but it's still about 3/4" wide (The plans for a 59' LP call for it to be 1/2" wide) while the templates are a bit over 3/4". In short I basically did to how the templates said do it. Does it matter if it goes into the pickup route though? I can't seeing it cause any real problems with that.

Edit: It's actually pretty much on par with the templates except for the fact it shifted a bit towards the treble side. :D

DSC02206.jpg

Edited by AlGeeEater

Also, just a question for you guys. The maple top I got cupped pretty badly (mainly because of me wetting the top) a few months ago. Since then i've hand planed it flat and now i'm ready to glue it up. It moved a little bit again, not too much and I could probaly flatten it out again by putting some force on it or clamping to my 1" plywood clamp thing. My question for you guys is can I safely glue the top on without trying to flatten it again? It's cupped probaly .010"-.005" in most places. Will the glue/clamps hold the top to the body without any problems?

Thanks,

Chris

It's normally a bad idea to force wood into submission with clamps and pray for the glue to hold, although I'm guilty of it as well. Try wetting the concave side just a little bit and perhaps putting weight on top of it with the convex side facing up. That might be all you need.

Is the wood actually dry and stable enough for you to glue it, though? Do you have access to a hygrometer or a kiln that could completely dry it out before you try gluing it up?

Also, the wiring channel cuts into the neck pickup cavity a little on my '04 LP too. It's not really an issue because the pickup isn't mounted to the body or anything.

I don't have my smart hat on for converting inches to mm, but if you're talking less than 3mm of cupping, and you can push it flat with moderate clamping pressure, go ahead and glue it up. You're gluing it to a 1 3/4 slab of mahogany, and you've going to carve it to 1/4 at the edges anyway - if it can force a warp into your mahogany after that you're probably confusing mahogany and kitchen sponges :D

Remember to take the direction of warping into acount when doing your glue up - ie: if the warp is highest in the centre, concentrate your clapms near the middle - the edges will be forced down by the cupping, and vice versa.

Crafty, it's been kiln dried before I recieved it, and I haven't wet the top of the boards in about 3 months. It's perfectly dry and suitable for gluing. OK, good to hear about the channel then, whew. :D

Setch, the boards are cupped about 0.26mm , so it's pretty safe to clamp it you think? OK, i'll prep the body and boards for sanding, and clamp the hell out of this. Ironically, where i'm using the bucket of water (or sand, not sure yet) is where the wood is cupped the most, so that'll flatten it out good me thinks. The edges are covered by my clamps so hopefully it will hold!

Thanks guys,

Chris

0.26mm :| im surprised you really even noticed that! That must be an error or you have got damn good eyes and a damn level bench. The guitar is really comming along though good work!

I've gotten one of those Stew-Mac straight edges, they're GREAT!

DSC02207.jpg

You can actually see slight fallaway on the left, but that's getting cut off so it's not important to me. :D

I just go get it done the day I need to glue.

That's actually a good tip. I had my top resawn a few weeks back --mostly because it's hard to catch the guy in his shop, so I got lucky that day.

Unfortunately I'd had the wood in the car for a couple of hours already --the wood got hot, it curled right away. And besides, as it is, I probably have at least a week, maybe two before I'm ready to glue it on. So I probably should have waited.

But it's been under clamps between two flat boards for the past couple of weeks and it's perfectly flat now.