Algee's Carved Top Lp

Right now the body (even with those 2 small chambers) weighs in about 8 pounds, so I figure the whole thing together will be about 12 pounds. You have to also realize i'm going to be taking a lot of the top off for the deep carve i'm going for. Ah well, the guy i'm building it for has strong shoulders, he's a pretty big guy.

12 Pounds?!?!?!?!?! Poor guy, no matter how big his shoulders are.....

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I figure i'm going to lose 2 pounds on the carve (maybe), so the body would be abouy 6 pounds or so, and the neck won't be that much. I really can't figure it until I get the neck cut out and such, but i'm figuring on the 10-12 pound range. Anyways, most Les Pauls are around 12 pounds.

Right now the body (even with those 2 small chambers) weighs in about 8 pounds, so I figure the whole thing together will be about 12 pounds. You have to also realize i'm going to be taking a lot of the top off for the deep carve i'm going for. Ah well, the guy i'm building it for has strong shoulders, he's a pretty big guy.

What exactly made the body so heavy? My largest bass body weighs about that, it's 22" x 13" x 1 1/2" (picture here). I guess the thickness? I'd also like to add, weight doesn't mean much. I play some gigantic basses, the most important thing is the balance. 12+ pounds can feel like it's weightless with correct balance.

Keep up the good work. The carve will really make this guitar look smokin'!

I think the wieght has to do with the combination of the african mahogany (which was 13 pounds just for the blank, 15" x 1-3/4" x 21") and the maple top. Keep in mind, the body blank was a bit oversized, it was supposed to be 1.75" but it was more like 1.889" or so. The maple top was also thicknessed, about .900", but now everything is to the correct thickness, and it's just about par with Gibby bodies. I think once the top gets carved, and I do the tummy contour in the back it'll drop a good 2-3 pounds at the most.

Thanks

OK, well I got some decent pictures this time. Today I just drilled the holes for pots, and the only thing I can really do next on the body is to carve the top, which i'm going to hold off on until I get the neck fitted.

DSC02252.jpg

Mahogany Back (I really love the mahogany on this one!)

Anyways, once I start the neck i'll get the pics. Probaly won't be until Monday.

Also, has anybody used the Stew-Mac neck set-neck blanks to make an LP neck? I cut the scarf on this neck 1-3/4" too close to the fretboard, and i'm not if I ca sucessfully cut a scarf with these sized blanks are 26" long. If anybody can get at me with info within the next 15 or so minutes I can order a new blank from Stew-Mac and it'd ship today and be here monday.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

Also, has anybody used the Stew-Mac neck set-neck blanks to make an LP neck? I cut the scarf on this neck 1-3/4" too close to the fretboard, and i'm not if I ca sucessfully cut a scarf with these sized blanks are 26" long. If anybody can get at me with info within the next 15 or so minutes I can order a new blank from Stew-Mac and it'd ship today and be here monday.

Anyone care to chime in? It's too late now, so the neck won't get started until Wensday. In the mean time I guess I could start carving the top, or just let it sit a few days, I don't know yet.

You could always stick another peice of wood between the headstock and the neck. I think that would look really cool and would add some length to your neck.

12 pounds!? How thick is the body? My wenge guitar is 2" thick and only weighs 9.7 pounds (mind you thats WENGE, which is like a billion times heavier than mahogany and maple)

The one I'm working on now thats mahogany/maple is only 5.5 pounds done.

I dont mean the headstock shape, although they are pretty good. I mean the way he uses laminated wood for the neck shaft and a solid peice of wood for the headstock. I have seen it on some basses as well.

You could use the short mahogany neck blank you have for the shaft and a seperate peice of wood for the headstock. You could either use another peice of mahogany that matches or use something different and make a feature out of it. You could probably find a piece of wood (or a few you could laminate) to make a headstock in your scraps bin and scarf it onto the mahogany.

You could use the short mahogany neck blank you have for the shaft and a seperate peice of wood for the headstock. You could either use another peice of mahogany that matches or use something different and make a feature out of it.

+1

My Warmoth mahogany neck had obviously different pieces for the shaft and headstock - different colors and grain patterns. Staining the neck dark brown erased the discrepancies - looks great now.

Mike