Algee's Carved Top Lp

The thing is, the short blank is TOO short period, as in the fretboard doesnt fit on it at all. To make it fit i'd only have 18 frets. :D

I'm actually going to go with the 30" x 3" x 7/8" neck blank from LMI. For 22 bucks, compared to Stew-Macs 55, it's a hell of a deal. Plus I don't need to saw it to the correct thickness or 'nothin. :D

Edited by AlGeeEater

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just fooling around doing a little drawing today when I came up with these headstock shapes. I'm not 100% happy with them, but it's a start. For some reason I feel like i've seen them somewhere before, but i'm not sure where.

Tell me what you guys think. Improvements wanted :D

DSC02258.jpg

The thing is, the short blank is TOO short period, as in the fretboard doesnt fit on it at all. To make it fit i'd only have 18 frets. :D

I'm actually going to go with the 30" x 3" x 7/8" neck blank from LMI. For 22 bucks, compared to Stew-Macs 55, it's a hell of a deal. Plus I don't need to saw it to the correct thickness or 'nothin. :D

But you will need to stack the heel though?

I was just fooling around doing a little drawing today when I came up with these headstock shapes. I'm not 100% happy with them, but it's a start. For some reason I feel like i've seen them somewhere before, but i'm not sure where.

FirstAct. That's their trademark headstock shape.

But you will need to stack the heel though?

Yes, I just cut the heel off the old blank and i'm going to glue it onto the new one.

Back to the drawing board I guess, damn you First Act!

First Act doesn't own this headstock...they're too busy borrowing from everyone else's designs anyway. Every single one of their 'custom' guitars is a riff on a someone else's design. Have a look at their new Delia hollowbody ...then take a look at HiTone's Classic...or the Hofner Verythin (which beat both by ....50 years!)

The main question you should have Algee is whether the headstock is going to work YOUR guitar.

Besides, you're building an LP, right? So if you're willing to use someone else's shape for the body, why should it bother you that someone else has the same headstock shape?

Personally, I like what you came up with, whether Elektra beat you to it or not.

First Act doesn't own this headstock...they're too busy borrowing from everyone else's designs anyway. Every single one of their 'custom' guitars is a riff on a someone else's design. Have a look at their new Delia hollowbody ...then take a look at HiTone's Classic...or the Hofner Verythin (which beat both by ....50 years!)

The main question you should have Algee is whether the headstock is going to work YOUR guitar.

Besides, you're building an LP, right? So if you're willing to use someone else's shape for the body, why should it bother you that someone else has the same headstock shape?

Personally, I like what you came up with, whether Elektra beat you to it or not.

I agree actually.

As has been said before- theres pretty much nothing new under the sun when it comes to guitar building.

I say go with the headstock- I like it

Well, i'm selling it for one so i'd like something a little 'personal' , but I think i'll go with the basic shape. I'll see if I can twist it a bit too look more original (even though 3 other 'companies' will probaly have the same exact shape)

I really like Maton link you gave me, the headstock works so good for that guitar.

Ha! That's exactly the same headstock as the First Act headstock, just reversed!

Hmm..you thinking what I'm thinking?

I'm thinking you wan't me to reverse my headstock, OR First Act is just one big copy cat? :D

I just routed the binding channel too. Pictures later, when I feel like it.

Got the neck blank in today, and man it's so sweet! 22 bucks for this piece of honduran mahogany, planed flat and plenty of room to scarf it (30" long). I'm never going to buy the stew-mac ones again!

I'm just waiting for the Stew-Mac shippment to come in with the truss rod, so i can route the channel for the truss rod, scarf joint the neck and rough cut the neck out.

Updates later!

Peace,

Chris

OK, I cut the scarf joint, and everything wen't perfect. It looks GREAT, and i'm very pleased with it. I'm in the process right now of letting the glue dry on the heel too, i'll take pictures later tonight or tomr. Tomr. I plan on routing the truss rod channel, rough cutting the neck out, flushing the neck with the templates and possibly fit the neck into the pocket.

See ya,

Chris

Here's the pics guys. I decided to just go with a standard Gibbo' headstock on this one, maybe i'll put a few more curves into ala pics. This still needs a ton of hand sanding though!

DSC02285.jpg

Don't mind the little dent thing in the center of the headstock, it came from the drill press when I attempted to enlarge the hole for the truss rod adjustment. That failed, so I had to break out the hammer and chisel and widen it up. I just have to clean up the truss rod channel and glue in the truss rod (the cauk I used was utter crap, so i'm just going to glue it in. Fudge it. :D ).

th_DSC02282.jpg

th_DSC02283.jpg

Also, in the first thumbnail the truss rod isn't glued down, it's just kind of placed in the slot so that's why it looks like it's popping out. There was also a bit of tension on it, so I just had to loosen the truss rod.

That's it for today, but tomr. I plan on gluing, trimming and binding the fretboard, drill for the tuner holes and possibly start the tenon.

Peace guys,

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

You certainly dont want to glue the rod in, that will essentially render it useless. A little silicone is all you need. Is the slot too wide? Why does it need to be "glued" anyway?

Dunno why I said that last night, musta been the paint fumes. :D I caulked it in today with some polyurethane stuff, worked fine.

Anyways, i'm going to have to make a new neck for this (for the third time). I was shaping the tenon, and I got it to a nice snug fit, but then I realized I had to bring back more. So I started to do that, and somehow the tenon ended up too skinny for the neck pocket. :lmao Thing is, I also made the mortise on this a little wider than normal because there was a bit of a curve in the templates I made (which I fixed) so that's why the neck won't fit. The neck fits fine in the original templates, nice and snug.

Now I gotta order a new neck and start over, oh joy :D

Edited by AlGeeEater

I know. :D I think the biggest reason I F'ed up was because I rushed it, and I didn't take my time on it. I was trying to get it done before I went to hang with some friends, but I guess I probaly should have just waited until I could focus all my attention towards it. Lesson learned, but it's still not a wasted neck! B)

The neck shipped from LMI (just ordered it a half hour ago, go LMI! ), had it 3-dayed here for monday, so i'll get most of the work done on it on monday if I don't enjoy a day out with the gang. :D

Peace guys,

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

I thought those templates you were using had the neck tennon on them? Check out Setch's LP build, I think he routs his tennon with a template. What method did you use on this last neck?

I thought those templates you were using had the neck tennon on them? Check out Setch's LP build, I think he routs his tennon with a template. What method did you use on this last neck?

If I remember rightly he bandsaws close to shape, routs most of the tenon, and then cuts the part where it meets the body with a handsaw, then cleans it up with a chisel. I wouldn't like to take a router to the shoulder parts of the tenon where it meets the body, that's almost begging for tear-out...

They do, but I routed the mortise with my own templates (the bit I had was too long) which when I made somehow god a curve in them, so I had to fix the mortise with my hammer and chisels. It ended up being wider than a typical LP mortise, so I had to accomodate for that when I was shaping the tenon. The tenon templates were useless at that point. You can't use a router with them anyways, the best thing to do is to bandsaw it to shape, and use chisels & a plane to get everything neat and correct.

• 5 weeks later...

Yesterday I completed the tummy cut in the back. I think my tummy cuts look nasty (a good nasty, not nasty nasty :D ) on Les Pauls. Makes them look so beefy, but maybe i'm over thinking stuff.

No pictures as my mom seems to be breaking everything I own in sight.

What do you guys think about this idea though, making this baby a string-thru TOM instead of a stop tail TOM? I'm pretty sick of seeing stop tail LP's, and I think string-thru along with the recessed bridge would make this thing look real nice. Thoughts or pictures?

Thanks,

Chris