Algee's Carved Top Lp

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's been really hard to find the time to do any guitar building lately, unfortunatly. Working two jobs eats up a lot of time, and there's always something that takes priority over guitar building. :D I was planning to spend all day tomr. fretting, carving and routing though. We'll see how things go.

Edited by AlGeeEater

• 1 month later...

Maybe some of you are wondering what happened to this build...

Here's the neck carved. B)

th_DSC028891.jpg

It's a pretty crap picture, but i'll have ones in the sun once I get the curly koa headplate on. :D I still need to the finish the volute too. I was thinking of possibly cutting another piece of koa for the back of the headstock.

th_DSC028941.jpg

DSC028951.jpg

It's hard to see the headstock drawn on the koa because it's wet with mineral spirits, but you get the idea. The main greenish strip is going to go down the center of the headstock. It should look like that once I spray the nitro on it. :D

• 3 months later...
Dunno why I said that last night, musta been the paint fumes. :D I caulked it in today with some polyurethane stuff, worked fine.

Anyways, i'm going to have to make a new neck for this (for the third time). I was shaping the tenon, and I got it to a nice snug fit, but then I realized I had to bring back more. So I started to do that, and somehow the tenon ended up too skinny for the neck pocket. :lmao Thing is, I also made the mortise on this a little wider than normal because there was a bit of a curve in the templates I made (which I fixed) so that's why the neck won't fit. The neck fits fine in the original templates, nice and snug.

Now I gotta order a new neck and start over, oh joy B)

Just wondering here... how much "skinnier" is the neck tenon?

I had a similiar problem with my neck tenon on my explorer project. When I routed out the mortise, the router bit happened to be out of spec and cut a mortise that was slightly too large. Not by much but enough for the neck to not fit in tightly. I guess the cutters were slightly larger than the 1/2" width it was advertised as - never again will I buy cheaper router bits. :D

I decided to veneer the sides of the mortise and sand them down until I had a perfect fit with the neck. I'm wondering why you didn't try something like that. Is that a bad thing I did? Is it cheating? Will it affect the quality of the instrument? It just seems like such a waste to chuck the old neck. B)

:D

I would imagine Algee is probably going to save the neck with the skinny tenon for another project,as he said the problem was in the mortise.That is what I would do as long as everything else is fine.

Want to know a secret?On my exploder,I tried to install a rear mounted locking nut and caved in the back of the truss rout...I considered scrapping the entire neck,but instead I ordered some maple dowels,used them to fill in the holes,and installed a rear bubinga veneer and covered it up...and since I know it is repaired properly,it never bothers me.

It isn't ALWAYS just a "curse and toss" situation.

http://westhemann.com/cgi-bin/i/exploder/IM000125.JPG

I would imagine Algee is probably going to save the neck with the skinny tenon for another project,as he said the problem was in the mortise.That is what I would do as long as everything else is fine.

Want to know a secret?On my exploder,I tried to install a rear mounted locking nut and caved in the back of the truss rout...I considered scrapping the entire neck,but instead I ordered some maple dowels,used them to fill in the holes,and installed a rear bubinga veneer and covered it up...and since I know it is repaired properly,it never bothers me.

It isn't ALWAYS just a "curse and toss" situation.

http://westhemann.com/cgi-bin/i/exploder/IM000125.JPG

Nice work - I think that kind of "repair" is fine. Wouldn't bother me one bit. You do what you gotta do and the next build will just be better. I know I learned a lot from my Explorer build (still in progress).

I actually prefer a backstrap on a scarfed headtsock.

I screwed up the exact same nut mounting screws on my Korina Jem but on mine, the holes were in the hump of the volute, not on the flat portion so I couldn't cover it up with anything. I drilled them and they somehow came out slightly out of range. I had to enlarge them until I could attach the nut. Arghghghg! Next time, I'll use a top mount nut (and the have the added advantage of not weakening the neck with the rear holes.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...