9-string Alvarez

Many years ago I saw an ad for an Alvarez, 9-string acoustic.

The 1-2-3 strings were doubled and the 4-5-6 strings were single.

It was advertised as having the best of both worlds.

A singing chorus on the treble and definition on the bass.

I thought of building one, but wanted to make sure that this wasn't something I would regret.

I'm not too sure if one truss rod would be enough for balancing this thing out.

Anybody have experience with something like this?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

I just was't sure about any weird twisting because of one side having only three as opposed to six strings.

Thanks

Shouldn't be an issue, just make sure you get some well seasoned quartered wood for the neck and you'll be fine.

On a standard 6 string guitar, I would assume (and I hope to be corrected) the bottom e is exerting far more pull than the top E. So on a normal neck the bass side is always going to be under more force and the necks seem to cope fine with it. By putting extra strings on the treble side you are actually balancing out the pull more so than on a standard 6 string. If this is correct, then a 9-string ought to be actually more stable. No?

On a standard 6 string guitar, I would assume (and I hope to be corrected) the bottom e is exerting far more pull than the top E. So on a normal neck the bass side is always going to be under more force and the necks seem to cope fine with it. By putting extra strings on the treble side you are actually balancing out the pull more so than on a standard 6 string. If this is correct, then a 9-string ought to be actually more stable. No?

On a standard 6 string you want a little more relief on the bass side than the treble, so if the neck flexes a tad more in the bass area than the treble, you don't notice it as a problem.

Brian.

I have a couple of twelve-string Rickenbackers, and the ability to adjust two sides is nice.

I am still thinking about the string balance issue.

Even though the 4,5 and 6 strings are bigger, the core isn't that much bigger than the thicker plain strings.

Do the wraps make it that much harder?

I also thought about what you guys have suggested about the three big strings equaling the pull of the "six" higher strings.

That guitar will have no frets beyond the 16th fret.

The reason was that the last guitar I fretted took a beating above the body because of no suppoert. Then I thought, who really frets beyond the 15th anyways? Maybe on an electric, but on a non-cutaway acoustic?

OK, maybe on one song for just about 10 seconds.

Instead, I will inlay the fretboard with fancy stuff where the frets would have been.

I will definitely post a picture.

Thanks for all you help.

Mike