1979 Ibanez St300 .. What Should I Do ?

I stumbled on this website tonight, and I think I have found my paradise.....thank you for making this site available...

I recently bought a 1979 Ibanez st300 and she has some minor dings, and the finish has darkened( not yellowed)...I have tried several wood cleaners, even cleaner for wood floors and cannot seem to get the finish to look respectable..( this will be a stage and studio guitar)...and I want to be proud of what I play...

I have resolved myself to having to refinish it....and although I am aware that refinishing or painting it may reduce the value of the instrument, I feel it is worth the risk...

I am torn between restoring it to a " close to original" finish, or just stripping it down and doing a custom paint...( I am thinking of the chromalusion paint that changes color....unsure of the exact name..) ..

Can I get some feedback to see what you think...

Edited by axe_murderer

Like I said: character.

Now, put away that heat gun! :D

bahaha the heatgun....that's for a newer Ibanez for my kid...wants it " plum purple...ewwww"

It's funny... seems like there are several guys on here trying to get their new guitars to look like that. Maybe you all could trade. Then everyone would be happy. :D

heck no....I looked for 15 plus years for this one.....it's getting burried right next to me...." so I can play stairway to heaven/ or hell whichever applies..lol"

It takes forever for a finish to get old and dry enough to actually contribute to the good tone of the instrument, rather than just being a nice looking outer film, that actually suppresses the good tone of the instrument. 1979 was forever ago, and that finish has a story. Don't erase it.

It's a musical instrument. All the "pride" rides on the sound, not the looks.

It takes forever for a finish to get old and dry enough to actually contribute to the good tone of the instrument, rather than just being a nice looking outer film, that actually suppresses the good tone of the instrument. 1979 was forever ago, and that finish has a story. Don't erase it.

It's a musical instrument. All the "pride" rides on the sound, not the looks.

okay, agreed......I won't touch it.lol......exactly why I made the thread....where I'm at there isn't too many people with knowledge to discuss with..( most repair shops here are out to make a fast buck..) ....

I am glad I made the thread....

I will have to source out some replacement machine heads, or try to locate rebuilding parts as these are fairly worn....

any info would be greatly appreciated...